Do you think these 2 Pygmy Cory's are diseased?

I ordered these pygmy Cory's online and they just arrived. Two of them are DOA. I've never had a fish that arrived DOA nor have I ever had any a sick fish in my aquarium. Can any of you experts out there tell me if it looks like there's maybe a disease on their bodies? Maybe it's just because they were dead for a couple of days. Thank you in advance!

IMG_5053.jpeg

• Sad 3

On 10/10/2024 at 6:12 PM, Herefishie said:

I ordered these pygmy Cory's online and they just arrived. Two of them are DOA. I've never had a fish that arrived DOA nor have I ever had any a sick fish in my aquarium. Can any of you experts out there tell me if it looks like there's maybe a disease on their bodies? Maybe it's just because they were dead for a couple of days. Thank you in advance!

IMG_5053.jpeg

Possibly ammonia burn. How many days did it take to get the pygmy corydoras? I personally would quarantine the ones that survived. 

• Like 1

It was five days. Too long in my opinion. They were shipped from California to Phoenix. I've got these two in their own little quarantine tank. Thank you for your response.

On 10/10/2024 at 3:34 PM, Tlindsey said:

Possibly ammonia burn. How many days did it take to get the pygmy corydoras? I personally would quarantine the ones that survived. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2024 at 4:26 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Thats too long they should have been priority mail 1-3 days is industry standard. I would contact the seller that is unacceptable imo

I followed their instructions and sent them a picture and my order number at 2 PM today. I have not heard back. I will give it 24 hours and then I will reach out to them again.

• Like 4

If you order Pygmy Cory again from anywhere find one that will over night or second day air.  
When I was starting my Pygmy group I had to place several orders even with 2-3 day shipping.  I found they just do not ship very well in my experience unless overnighted.  

• Like 5

On 10/10/2024 at 4:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

If you order Pygmy Cory again from anywhere find one that will over night or second day air.  
When I was starting my Pygmy group I had to place several orders even with 2-3 day shipping.  I found they just do not ship very well in my experience unless overnighted.  

I won't make that mistake again. I'm fairly new to the hobby and it's a learning experience but I feel just awful for these poor dead Cory's. 😢

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I wish we could share info on sellers. The pygmy Cories I had ordered shipped overnight and arrived in perfect health, not a single issue. I bought 1 single from my LFS and it didn’t make it 48 hours. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/10/2024 at 6:40 PM, Herefishie said:

They were shipped from California to Phoenix.

Did they originate in Phoenix? Bob Steenfott has a place from Arizona somewhere (I won't/can't mention) that he continuously tears to shreds. For that reason. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've kept pygmy cories for about a decade, but never considered them as shipping sensitive. Since 2021, I've had 3 shipments from Washington state to Tennessee, totaling four dozen cories & no losses. All 3 orders were priority mail, but one of the orders was from Monday to Friday before delivery.

If I'd been in the OP's situation, I would have just considered it bad luck and let the seller resolve it while I quarantine the rest of the order & run the med trio to help ensure everything is good for the rest.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2024 at 4:37 AM, Tazalanche said:

Since 2021, I've had 3 shipments from Washington state to Tennessee, totaling four dozen cories & no losses.

Right, and I ship from Florida to indiana all the time. Never Pygmy’s, but never a problem either. Mine requires overnight like dans fish. These days it’s odd not to require that. For priority mail lots of things can go wrong. You just hope the seller honors the contract 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 5:04 PM, Tony s said:

Did they originate in Phoenix? Bob Steenfott has a place from Arizona somewhere (I won't/can't mention) that he continuously tears to shreds. For that reason. 

No, they originated in California. I know I'm not allowed to say the seller's name.

On 10/11/2024 at 9:24 AM, Herefishie said:

No, they originated in California. I know I'm not allowed to say the seller's name

You’re good. Not who I was thinking of anyway then. And second hand knowledge anyway. I must say I was disappointed to hear bob talking about them that way. I had always wanted to order from them. 

• Like 1