10 Gallon Stock Ideas

Sandrock14

Hello everyone,

I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running for about 10 months. I previously had swordtails but recently traded them in. The only fish currently in the 10 gallon is a juvenile Zebra Pleco.

I am looking for stocking ideas? I'd like to get something with a personality. I currently already have a betta in another tank and tetras in a 3rd tank. I'm looking for something a little different. Please let me know your ideas and thoughts!

Side L.jpg

Side.jpg

Capture.PNG

• Like 4

Pretty boy!

A trio of honey gourami would work. Or up to 15 chili rasboras, or other micro rasboras. Shrimp of course. Too small for any cory except pygmy. and they'd like more swimming space. 1 giant betta. or a wild betta in a dark water tank. Possibly a breeding pair of betta albimarginata in a dark tank?

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 8:20 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a 10 gallon tank that has been running for about 10 months. I previously had swordtails but recently traded them in. The only fish currently in the 10 gallon is a juvenile Zebra Pleco.

I am looking for stocking ideas? I'd like to get something with a personality. I currently already have a betta in another tank and tetras in a 3rd tank. I'm looking for something a little different. Please let me know your ideas and thoughts!

Side L.jpg

Side.jpg

Capture.PNG

Very nice looking setup.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2024 at 11:33 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Have any of you all kept a single Honey Gourami? Was it interactive and did it get lonely?

I have one currently. But not for long. The tank has lost a few of its inhabitants, so going to move him into a 75g and redo the tank. She had other companions for a couple of years. Only one gourami though. She seemed to do just fine in the tank, constantly moving and searching. Lonely? Not sure how you tell, but behavior was typical for her.

• Like 2

my LFS had a large amount of Chili Rasboras the other day, they definitely looked nice.

I am inbetween Chilis, Honey Gourami, and Indostomus Crocodilus. Has anyone had the Crocodilus? I just started researching the Crocodilus.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2024 at 9:05 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Have you or anyone ever kept multiple female bettas in a tank?

It can be done. But I wouldn’t try with anything less than a heavy planted 30g tank. Then 1 betta per gallon and a half. 10g is just too small with no hiding spots. With a decent sized tank and a large number of bettas, you can overwhelm their sense of whom to attack. And they end up attacking nobody. I did try in a 10 and failed. But I had a backup plan for all the bettas.

On 9/28/2024 at 9:11 PM, Tony s said:

It can be done. But I wouldn’t try with anything less than a heavy planted 30g tank. Then 1 betta per gallon and a half. 10g is just too small with no hiding spots. With a decent sized tank and a large number of bettas, you can overwhelm their sense of whom to attack. And they end up attacking nobody. I did try in a 10 and failed. But I had a backup plan for all the bettas.

Good to know, good thinking. I will hold off on that idea.

I am still interested in the Honey Gourami, just concerned if I have a single Honey if they will get lonely/depressed.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 10:23 PM, Sandrock14 said:

just concerned if I have a single Honey if they will get lonely/depressed

Not that I was aware of. But she had other tank mates 

Here is a tank that prism takes around. It’s amazing. If I was going to try again, I’d do it this way. 

On 9/28/2024 at 11:27 PM, Sandrock14 said:

Prime Time Aquatics is a good youtube channel

My favorite. We went to aquashella in Chicago just to meet Jason and Joanna. They’re good people, very nice. All weekend long my daughter (9) was “Can we go back to Primetime now?” She actually got into 2 YouTube videos that way. One on Joanna’s channel (my daughter is just smitten with her) and one from flip aquatics. 

• Love 1

On 9/28/2024 at 10:37 PM, Tony s said:

My favorite. We went to aquashella in Chicago just to meet Jason and Joanna. They’re good people, very nice. All weekend long my daughter (9) was “Can we go back to Primetime now?” She actually got into 2 YouTube videos that way. One on Joanna’s channel (my daughter is just smitten with her) and one from flip aquatics. 

Wow I'm jealous. I live only a few hours from Chicago. I can't believe I've never heard of Aquashella. I think I may try to go next year.

I can definitely see them being good people, they seem genuinely nice. That is awesome your kids are into it, the fish itch crosses many generations!

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 11:40 PM, Sandrock14 said:

live only a few hours from Chicago. I can't believe I've never heard of Aquashella. I think I may try to go next year.

Us too. About 2 hours southeast. I’ve been thinking of joining one of their fish clubs. Either greenwater society or the greater Chicago cichlid association. It’s either that or Indy’s aquarium club. It’s going to be a drive either way. The upside of Chicago is they have bigger swaps, I think. 

they actually do 3 aquashellas a year. One in Dallas, one in Daytona, one in Chicago. That’s the first one we’ve gone to. It was a lot of fun. Have to do that again for sure. Met content creators from 8 - 10 channels. 

• Love 1

On 9/28/2024 at 10:51 PM, Tony s said:

Us too. About 2 hours southeast. I’ve been thinking of joining one of their fish clubs. Either greenwater society or the greater Chicago cichlid association. It’s either that or Indy’s aquarium club. It’s going to be a drive either way. The upside of Chicago is they have bigger swaps, I think. 

they actually do 3 aquashellas a year. One in Dallas, one in Daytona, one in Chicago. That’s the first one we’ve gone to. It was a lot of fun. Have to do that again for sure. Met content creators from 8 - 10 channels. 

If I recall correctly, my father was part of the Chicago Cichlid Association back in the 80s-90s. When I was a child he had a few tanks, one of them was a 200 with massive Frontosas. It was amazing watching them protect their young by sucking them into their mouths to protect them.

Fish Swaps are cool too. I've gone to a few Milwaukee Aquarium Society ones. Definitely see some unique stuff. Unfortunately I believe some of the vendors are there to just make money and don't really care about the fish. I will definitely plan on the Aquashella in Chicago next year.

That was probably really cool having conversations with some youtubers. Did they have stands?

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 12:12 AM, Sandrock14 said:

Did they have stands?

Some did. Primetime sold fish. Flip sold botanicals. Luke sold shirts and plushies. Dustin sold plants and did a kids aqua scaping contest. My daughter won her group. Everybody got fluval chi tanks for the contest. Kaveman was out filming. And there were a few others out and about doing interviews. 

Edited by Tony s