Can these reptile tanks be used as a fish tank?

I can get this 20 long for free, the plastic lid is different, but curious if these are built any different than the regular open top 20 longs for  aquariums? 

also, it’s dirty haha I’d assume vinegar is the best cleaning option here? 

thanks!

image.jpg

Edited by Nate Duncan
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 10:45 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Pic is black for me, might be problem on my end but not showing up sadly @Nate Duncan

On 8/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yep! Hmmm, if you do a great job cleaning and have room for filter and good spot for light, might work ngl @Nate Duncan. Let’s see what others say though!

Only difference I see is the front plastic part has a lip. For the mesh lid, which I’d toss. Everything else is the same. Just not sure if this is a “reptile” specific and any change to the silicone or something you know? 

On 8/9/2024 at 10:58 AM, face said:

Glass thickness is normally the difference and they tend not to have the brass in the middle that tanks for water have 

I see no difference from my other 20 long, except the top plastic. Glass thickness I measures the same as well. 

• Like 1

I’ve kept reptiles in the past. 9 times out of 10, you’ll need to reseal. The intense heat from the heat lamp can and will shred silicone. I wouldn’t trust it until it held water for 7 days in a safe location or reseal it.  Honestly I’d pass but that’s just me.

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The glass does tend to be thinner on tanks intended for reptiles like the one pictured.  It’s less likely to be a problem in a small tank like this 20 long but larger tanks are very problematic since they are definitely not meant to hold their full volume of water.  I would strongly recommend against using say, a 55 gallon reptile tank as an aquarium, but you could potentially be OK with this 20 long after a thorough cleaning and proper resealing.  No guarantees, though.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2024 at 6:10 AM, Odd Duck said:

The glass does tend to be thinner on tanks intended for reptiles like the one pictured.  It’s less likely to be a problem in a small tank like this 20 long but larger tanks are very problematic since they are definitely not meant to hold their full volume of water.  I would strongly recommend against using say, a 55 gallon reptile tank as an aquarium, but you could potentially be OK with this 20 long after a thorough cleaning and proper resealing.  No guarantees, though.

Yeah I ended up passing on it. Just bought a new one anyways haha. 

On 8/10/2024 at 7:45 AM, lefty o said:

that one looks to have held a snake by the shed skin, but many that have held lizards will also have the glass really scratched up from their claws.

Yeah they had snakes only, but I passed on it. Haha 

• Like 4

It’s probably just as well. We hate to say no in most cases. Try to help people figure a way to yes. But the bottom glass strength is what worried me. Good luck on your new tank 😁

• Like 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:42 AM, Tony s said:

It’s probably just as well. We hate to say no in most cases. Try to help people figure a way to yes. But the bottom glass strength is what worried me. Good luck on your new tank 😁

Yeah after reading more about it I just rather not have that worry of exploding haha.

• Like 1