Moving 29g within House?

Mercfh

So I have a 29g I need to move from 1 room to the other. I was thinking of the best way to do this without removing all the fish. Do you think if I drained it to be super low (like just enough water for the fish to be ok) and me and another person lift it and move it it would be ok?

I also thought about putting it on a rolling platform, then rolling it into the room that way the  only time pressure would be on it would be lifting it down and then back up onto the aquarium stand.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

i would do just that, drain it down just enough water left to keep the fish wet. remember #8 a gallon of water, plus tank weight, and substrate. now is that the absolute best way guarantee'd not to cause a leak way, nope. if you are gentle and dont go twisting/tweaking/dropping the tank, itll be okay. 

• Like 3

On 8/4/2024 at 9:59 PM, Mercfh said:

I also thought about putting it on a rolling platform, then rolling it into the room

That depends on how strong you feel, and how coordinated. If neither of those. Roll it. Otherwise as @lefty o says. If you can pick it up with an extra 25lbs, it’s super easy…. Just don’t drop it. 

• Like 1

Do you know how many pounds of substrate you have in your tank? Do you have live plants rooted in your substrate?  I think an empty 29 gallon tank is around 40lbs.  If you have 20 lbs of substrate in tank and around 5 gallons of water for your fish your at around 100 lbs. 

If your able to lift the tank and stand onto a furniture dolly and move it as one unit might work or even if it is just your tank.  

I have moved over 30 tanks in my life time.  I've used furniture dollies and brute force.  I've even dragged a tank and stand on a wood floor using a carpet runner.  It is always easier and safer when drained and the majority of substrate is taken out.  

If you do keep the substrate and water in while moving it.  Remember to only grab from the bottom, watch your fingers and keep the tank as level as possible.  Keeping all that weight in the tank can put stress on the seems while you move the tank.  I had a 40 gallon develop a slow leak from a bottom seem aftet I moved it keeping the substrate and some water in it.  

Have an action plan in place incase something goes wrong.  Save as much water as possible in case you need it.  Try and move the tank during the time your local store is open incase you need to replace anything.   Such as tank, filter or heater.  I would sometimes use a move as a chance to change my scape and substrate.

Good luck!

• Like 2

4 inches of water in a 29 gallon is around 6 gallons…

If I were moving a 29 gallon, I would be bagging up the fish myself and draining water to the substrate level  before moving…

Just at bare bones we are looking at:

29 gallon tank empty.  40 lbs

2 inches of gravel substrate. 50 lbs

4 inches of water  48 pounds..

that 4 inches is just the 4 inches above substrate level..  hard to determine how much, but there will be water in and amongst the substrate. 

easily lookin at 150 pounds..  and moving it the water is likely to jostle about..

Edited by Pepere
  • Like 2

I’ve moved 75’s by lowering the water level and removing rock work. Then lift and move. Just be sure to have the muscle. Rolling sounds way better than lifting. I use professional grade suction cups to lift because of the weight, but in your case they aren’t necessary. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm more worried about the stress damaging/cracking the tank. I have around 3 inches of sand substrate but not much else heavy. I guess one option is just to get another 29g for cheap and add in the sand and then just move the fish/plants over. Might be worth it in the long run (Although I guess i'd lose a lot of beneficial bacteria) but hopefully my Fluval 207 would have enough to make it ok. But obviously i'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Edited by Mercfh

On 8/5/2024 at 1:24 PM, Mercfh said:

heavy. I guess one option is just to get another 29g for cheap and add in the sand and then just move the fish/plants over. Might be worth it in the long run (Although I guess i'd lose a lot of beneficial bacteria) but hopefully my Fluval 207 would have enough to make it ok.

Yes, your fluval 207 transferred directly over once the tank was filled and dechlorinated should do quite  nicely…. When half off at Petco would be about $45.00…

It would be far less stressfull a move… and… You have another 29 gallon tank to play with….

On 8/5/2024 at 1:24 PM, Mercfh said:

I'm more worried about the stress damaging/cracking the tank

That’s shouldn’t be an issue. The bottoms of most tanks are rated 17 or more lbs per gallon and you’ll carry from the bottom. So no big deal 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2024 at 1:55 PM, Tony s said:

That’s shouldn’t be an issue. The bottoms of most tanks are rated 17 or more lbs per gallon and you’ll carry from the bottom. So no big deal 

OK that's good because that was my main concern. I think if I drag it however it'll be even less likely to develop a crack.

I moved a 29 from one room to another single-handedly just by draining it low, but I work on a farm and carry feed bags and hay bales every day so I’m pretty fit for the task. I would have no concerns if I had a friend to help me move it! 

I just moved 25 tanks from my 2 upstairs fishrooms to the downstairs in my split level home. 
My 29 was the most unnerving.  The fish in it are hard to catch. It was not near as hard as I imagined. I had about an inch and a half of sand.  I did exactly as you thought to do by draining and moving without removing fish or substrate. I’m an old short lady, not strong and have both long bones in my dominant arm are healed non-unions. Hubby and I easily moved the 29. 

I suggest draining your tank down, have a partner and try to move it. If you find it overwhelming sit it on the floor and move the stand separately.