How to add water without disturbing substrate?

I use a Python Water change hose...Lets you remove and then re-add water to the tank.  No buckets for this girl.  Did that back in the 70s / 80s, and my old back will just not put up with that now.  Best thing I ever bought.  I couldn't be in the hobby without it. 

Super easy to use.  Link to a vid

nospill.png.2c748cebf7a5f6699f34cc4b3672fad8.png

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 8:49 PM, Arcticgypsy said:

I use a Python Water change hose...Lets you remove and then re-add water to the tank.

I use these as fell. I stick the end of the hook into a filter sock to diffuse the water going into the tank so as to minimize substrate disturbance. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I use these as fell. I stick the end of the hook into a filter sock to diffuse the water going into the tank so as to minimize substrate disturbance. 

I use a media bag as well.  Our water is hard, so sometimes will get the hard water bits come through.  Using the media bag on the end filters that out.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 5:04 PM, Fish Folk said:

I have not read all replies… so my apologies if this is redundant: cut a sheet of bubble wrap the size of your water surface. Float that, and pour / fill water on top of that. It significantly reduces substrate disturbance. (Not my own idea)

I do this, too! I like how the bubble wrap rises with the water level. I also got this idea from somewhere in this forum.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2024 at 9:05 PM, shawnkissed said:

I use a 16 oz plastic cup with holes all around to slow the flow. You could also get a cheap pitcher and drill a few holes on it. Use the handle to hang it on the tank. Just an idea.

That is a good idea thanks. 

On 8/4/2024 at 8:49 PM, Arcticgypsy said:

I use a Python Water change hose...Lets you remove and then re-add water to the tank.  No buckets for this girl.  Did that back in the 70s / 80s, and my old back will just not put up with that now.  Best thing I ever bought.  I couldn't be in the hobby without it. 

Super easy to use.  Link to a vid

nospill.png.2c748cebf7a5f6699f34cc4b3672fad8.png

I have seen this before, so i will do some research. The problem is, i do not have a faucet anywhere near the tanks. Do you only connect it to faucets?

On 8/5/2024 at 12:02 AM, HelplessNewbie said:

I do this, too! I like how the bubble wrap rises with the water level. I also got this idea from somewhere in this forum.

Hmmm... yes i have heard of this on other websites, i might do that. I mean, it is pretty cheap i guess 😄 thx

On 8/4/2024 at 8:43 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Should be. I don't know the diameter of the ones I use. But really, that doesn't matter. 

Just experiment a bit with water strength when filling the tank and you'll be set.

I started using these when I bred Odessa Barbs. I was doing 2 - 3x water changes a day and those were handy to not suck out teeny-tiny fry, nor blast them with a firehose of water when re-filling. Since then, they are all I use for water changes..

Thanks!

I just pour the water into the HOB, while it is starting up. That way, you don't have to add more water later to get it going.

Another option is to have somebody put a hand palm side up in the aquarium, and slowly pour the water into the hand, allowing it to spread our, not disturbing the substrate.

A final option is to pour it onto a decoration, or anywhere that won't disturb the substrate much.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:49 AM, Guupy42 said:

I just pour the water into the HOB, while it is starting up. That way, you don't have to add more water later to get it going.

Another option is to have somebody put a hand palm side up in the aquarium, and slowly pour the water into the hand, allowing it to spread our, not disturbing the substrate.

A final option is to pour it onto a decoration, or anywhere that won't disturb the substrate much.

Thank you! Yes the last option that i have always done. Problem is, in my 20g there is no great decor to pour water onto, mostly lose driftwood. THat can get pushed around if not careful. Again thank you so much @Guupy42!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 8:31 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

That is a good idea thanks. 

I have seen this before, so i will do some research. The problem is, i do not have a faucet anywhere near the tanks. Do you only connect it to faucets?

Yes attaches to faucet. You can get it in various lengths.  Mine is 25 ft, just buy the size you need.  They come 50ft, 100ft etc

• Like 1

For my 10g tanks' water changes (which are 15 feet from faucets), I just bought long, food grade, smaller-diameter* hose that attached to my gravel vacuum. I place the output securely in the tub for draining, making sure it is below the level of the tanks. For tanks on the floor, I stuff the hose a few inches inside the drain. Then, for filling, I just attach the emptied* hose to my aco powerhead in a dipper in the sink, while it is constantly filling with water.

*my aco and other small powerheads couldn't provide enough oomph to push through trapped water in the hose, so best to empty it entirely and switching to a smaller diameter hose helped it push the water to the height of my tanks

• Like 1

On 8/4/2024 at 9:56 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

How do you add water after doing a wc to the tank without disturbing substrate plants and even fish.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Courtesy of marks shrimp tanks on youtube... take a 1/2" thick piece of styrafoam, rinse it well, cut it to the depth of the tank (or just short) and lay that on the surface of the water.  Pour water into the tank, the foam disperses it gently in 360 degrees.  Best trick I've used for years and works better than anything I've ever used... YES, I've tried just about everything from a strainer that hooks onto the rim to python+foam+plastic to disperse the flow.

• Thanks 1