Dither fish for red wolf fish

I am trying to find some dither fish for Bob, my red wolf fish. He won’t eat his tank mates unless he decides to refuse to eat in the day and his tank mates eat the food instead. He is shy but aggressive and has eaten fish about a fourth of his size when he was young and has attacked 4 inch long shiners. I tried tiger barbs but he became nervous and ate most of them later. What would be some other ideas?

On 7/13/2024 at 11:47 AM, Mississippi fish guy said:

I am trying to find some dither fish for Bob, my red wolf fish. He won’t eat his tank mates unless he decides to refuse to eat in the day and his tank mates eat the food instead. He is shy but aggressive and has eaten fish about a fourth of his size when he was young and has attacked 4 inch long shiners. I tried tiger barbs but he became nervous and ate most of them later. What would be some other ideas?

What size aquarium is the Red wolfish in?

I personally had a purple wolfish a few years ago. Tankmates were bichirs, Florida Gar, datnoid, and 3 spotted silver dollars. The purple may be a less aggressive species than the red wolfish. I didn't feed live feeder fish. Earthworms every once in awhile. @Mississippi fish guy

On 7/13/2024 at 12:11 PM, Tlindsey said:

I personally had a purple wolfish a few years ago. Tankmates were bichirs, Florida Gar, datnoid, and 3 spotted silver dollars. The purple may be a less aggressive species than the red wolfish. I didn't feed live feeder fish. Earthworms every once in awhile. @Mississippi fish guy

They were in a 180 gallon at that time. 

On 7/13/2024 at 11:11 AM, Tlindsey said:

They were in a 180 gallon at that time. 

My tank is a 55 gallon though there might not be as much open water when the Pogostemmon begins to grow more.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 2:39 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

My tank is a 55 gallon though there might not be as much open water when the Pogostemmon begins to grow more.

I was going to suggest spotted silver dollars. They would swim into the aquarium if spooked. Also almost forgot the will eat your plants. 

From what I have read there likely to attack or predate most tank mate you could probably get away with armoured catfish like common pleco you would need a bigger tank to accommodate them 

On 7/14/2024 at 1:14 AM, Mississippi fish guy said:

What would you think about otocinclus

I think they would be a snack you would need large species of catfish such as sailfin plecos royal plecos common plecos 

On 7/14/2024 at 3:08 AM, Mississippi fish guy said:

Any ideas that aren’t plecos?

You  might get away with larger aggressive south american cichlids that can hold there own or bottom feeding string rays or the larger pleco i recommended  I don't think your tank big enough for them most of information I have  seen recommend keeping them on there own due to there predatory nature 

Edited by Colu

On 7/14/2024 at 1:27 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

Would a jack dempsey work? 

No one can give you a definite answer. You could try the Jack Dempsey but be aware all cichlids are territorial from my experience. 

On 7/14/2024 at 3:44 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I suggested Giant Danios because they would be a much cheaper snack than most others. If I were you, I’d post this to the cichlid forum or monster fish keepers. You’ll get experience there. 

I'm a member lol. @mynameisnobody

• Like 1