@Mmiller2001 right; but if you have enough biological fiktration, it's ok - and it's a sign your tank is thriving, and can handle ammonia.

In the OPs case, it's prob best to remove it, like you mentioned, since it's still cycling. 

• Like 1

@Mmiller2001, should I add more ammonia? I forgot to last night and was thinking and was wondering if i should? Thoughts? Also last night i did not check parameters because I could not when I would normally do it. So after I test the water, add ammonia, what do you think?

On 7/12/2024 at 7:59 AM, Jeff said:

@Mmiller2001 right; but if you have enough biological filtration, it's ok - and it's a sign your tank is thriving, and can handle ammonia.

In the OPs case, it's prob best to remove it, like you mentioned, since it's still cycling. 

Yes i cleaned it, and it looks much better, very very clear water. Now my only Q is if i should add ammonia.

On 7/12/2024 at 5:59 AM, Jeff said:

right; but if you have enough biological fiktration, it's ok - and it's a sign your tank is thriving, and can handle ammonia.

Not in a planted tank, I'm not talking ammonia that would show up on tests. As the mulm sits on plants and around the tank it's breaking down creating ammonia along with soluble and insoluble organics. All of this is a potential fuel for algae.

On 7/12/2024 at 6:18 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

should I add more ammonia? I forgot to last night and was thinking and was wondering if i should? Thoughts? Also last night i did not check parameters because I could not when I would normally do it. So after I test the water, add ammonia, what do you think?

If this is how you are cycling the tank, yes add it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 8:24 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Not in a planted tank, I'm not talking ammonia that would show up on tests. As the mulm sits on plants and around the tank it's breaking down creating ammonia along with soluble and insoluble organics. All of this is a potential fuel for algae.

Ohh ok. But i was thinking of adding it so i could see if it will drop in 24 hrs, and if so that means it is cycled correct? I am trying to finish this.

The ammonia

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 7/12/2024 at 6:26 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Ohh ok. But i was thinking of adding it so i could see if it will drop in 24 hrs, and if so that means it is cycled correct? I am trying to finish this.

The ammonia

I would add it for cycling reasons.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 8:32 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Welcome. Adding more plants helps tremendously. 

Kinda kidding in a way, i have tried lots of plants, but i am a newbie when it comes to getting the plants to thrive! Still trying to learn. But i love it already!

• Like 1