Corydoras. Is this normal behavior?

Hubby couldn't handle the Cory's being in quarantine any longer so I put out orange laser and Julii Cory's into the main tank (20g planted).  

I expected them to be active. I expected them to swim to the surface occasionally.  What I didn't expect was for them to spend most of their time swimming up and down the glass, darting from one end to the other, and generally being happy acrobats all over the place!!  

I wish I could video it but they are camera shy. 

I think if we had a 50g tank, we would fill it with Cory's!!  Lol

• Love 3

On 7/7/2024 at 8:03 AM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

Hubby couldn't handle the Cory's being in quarantine any longer so I put out orange laser and Julii Cory's into the main tank (20g planted).  

I expected them to be active. I expected them to swim to the surface occasionally.  What I didn't expect was for them to spend most of their time swimming up and down the glass, darting from one end to the other, and generally being happy acrobats all over the place!!  

I wish I could video it but they are camera shy. 

I think if we had a 50g tank, we would fill it with Cory's!!  Lol

Yes  sounds like their liking the new environment 😄

• Like 2

Glass surfing and such behavior sounds like a stress behavior to me, unless they are breeding. I witnessed breeding cories acting the same too sometimes.

However, I personally had issues with my adult bigger sized cories like sterbais in such tank sizes after some time. Upgrading the tanksize and losing my only male in the group stopped that behavior and they started swimming peacefully and acting cozy, sifting around on the bottom, never shy, swimming slowly.

I have gold lasers, pandas, pygmys and sterbais. I can say what you describe is not their casual peaceful happy daily behavior. Likely stressed due to being in a new place.

Providing dim places, hiding points, lots of cover and dither fish activity on top of them (in my experience safely overstocking even) makes cories act on a different level.

different cories do not school together really. So how many of each species you have in 20ghigh? They need their own group numbers 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 8:37 AM, Lennie said:

I have gold lasers, pandas, pygmys and sterbais. I can say what you describe is not their casual peaceful happy daily behavior. Likely stressed due to being in a new place.

Providing dim places, hiding points, lots of cover and dither fish activity on top of them (in my experience safely overstocking even) makes cories act on a different level.

different cories do not school together really. So how many of each species you have in 20ghigh? They need their own group numbers 

Not disagreeing, but looking at videos on the "Cory appreciation" thread indicates that much of what I am seeing is "happy Cory" behaviors.  Reasonable that they would also display some stress since they just moved from quarantine tank to this one. 

There are hiding places for them. They use them mostly when humans appear at the glass. The neon tetra survivors are their dither fish. 

The LFS I got them from only had one orange laser. I got it and 5 Julii's.  I would like to get more of the orange laser. It seems okay hanging with the Julii's but the Julii's kinda give Laser no choice in the matter! They are much smaller than Laser so they seem to feel safer being close to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2024 at 9:04 AM, TinaPax-Peeks said:

Not disagreeing, but looking at videos on the "Cory appreciation" thread indicates that much of what I am seeing is "happy Cory" behaviors

Mine love to do this, especially after water changes. Could be breeding behavior. Or just having fun. And I believe it could be species dependent. My peppered and skunks don’t. My albino aeneus and pandas do 

• Like 1

Definitely sounds like happy cory behavior.  Usually stress surfing is in one area. If they are darting about they are gleeful. Cory cats of all types are my favorites. 
Congrats on happy fishes 🎉

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Agree with cory zoomies and having fun.  It certainly could be some stress if only at one end or truly repetitive in one area, or if it has some franticness to it, but this sounds like exploration and happiness.  Some of it will likely settle down a bit as they get used to the tank but happy cories are active cories in between occasional rests and slower ambling / bumbling around that always makes me think of clumsy puppies.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I've always suspected glass surfing by cories to be related to migration urges. Something in their genes is telling them to head in that direction and they find a glass wall stopping them, so they swim up and down it looking for a way past.  Mine typically wanted to glass surf against the north wall of the tanks.  

Posted (edited)

I don't know. I worry your cories have deep-seated emotional problems stemming from a rough childhood and a subsequent inability to commit to anything of substance in their lives, manifesting in an inability to stay still for any length of time in their tank.   I offer focused fish-therapy for reasonable hourly rates.  😂 😀

Edited by daggaz
  • Haha 3

Stressed corys go to the back of the tank and hide.
Unless you have your hand in the tank and they're running away, it should be fine. "Exploring the boundaries of a new tank" most likely.

• Like 3

On 7/8/2024 at 9:34 AM, daggaz said:

I don't know. I worry your cories have deep-seated emotional problems stemming from a rough childhood and a subsequent inability to commit to anything of substance in their lives, manifesting in an inability to stay still for any length of time in their tank.   I offer focused fish-therapy for reasonable hourly rates.  😂 😀

😂😂 That is FUNNY!!! good diagnosis!