Info: Male double tail half moon betta

Purchased Saturday June 29th and was immediately put into a 4 gallon quarantine tank with a sponge filter, a heater(81°F), and the following medications:

Ich-X

Fritz Maracyn

No Paracleanse yet, it will be arriving sometime next week 

He has SBD, anytime he tries to swim to the bottom he pops right back up. Has trouble balancing and often goes sideways. I have him on a fast, this would be his third day on it. I installed a light earlier today to help see any debris that he may have left and noticed green poop? It is the exact color of green algae. It is not stringy but more of a little "glop" with a pinched off end which why I suspect it being poop. I could not get a good enough image of it but will try later on with a better camera.

Concerns:

Mostly just his SBD as I've ready that it's fairly common for double tails to have SBD due to a compressed body, had I known this I would not have purchased the little guy 😞 he has a bulge on the side of his body where his swim bladder is. I'm wondering if I should try the frozen pea method today? And if that doesn't work I'm open to advice and curious if anyone has had any luck with double tails.

IMG_20240702_172258.png

Okay, first thing we need to know, what are your water parameters. Your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh numbe. Just to check and make sure the water is safe. Second thing, is he still eating food? If he is that will help. 

I’d possibly stop the current meds. Especially if it’s the reduced rates called for by the med trio procedure. The mushy pea feeding thing for swim bladder doesn’t usually do anything at all. 

what I would do is get some maracyn2 and we’ll get you a recipe for giving it to him in his food. Getting the medicine inside of him will probably give him the best shot. 

from @Colu a few years ago on swim bladder 

Let's start with the  swim bladder. most case of swim bladder are cause by over feeding and the stomach putting pressure on the swim bladder. constipation or bacterial infection of the swim bladder. Or an injury to the swim bladder. Frist I would recommend fasting your fish for a couple of days and doing epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2   gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants to help with constipation. if that has no effect then I would treat with antibiotic medication in food such as maracyn2 in food furan2 is not very effective at a higher  pH above 7.8 if your in the UK I would treat with Sera baktopur direct tables if it's a damage swim bladder caused by an injury it case of wait and see some will improve given time other will not improve and may have to be euthanize if you think there suffering clove oil is one of the most humane ways to euthanize your fish

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

Edited December 12, 2023 by Colu
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you don't have live  plants in your quarantine tank I would go ahead and add epsom salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons directly to the tank for 5 days you want plain unsented epsom I would fast for another 2 days   after 5 days your seeing no improvement than I would go ahead and do a course of maracyn2 following the recipe above feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 8:34 PM, Tony s said:

Okay, first thing we need to know, what are your water parameters. Your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh numbe. Just to check and make sure the water is safe. Second thing, is he still eating food? If he is that will help. 

I’d possibly stop the current meds. Especially if it’s the reduced rates called for by the med trio procedure. The mushy pea feeding thing for swim bladder doesn’t usually do anything at all. 

what I would do is get some maracyn2 and we’ll get you a recipe for giving it to him in his food. Getting the medicine inside of him will probably give him the best shot. 

from @Colu a few years ago on swim bladder 

Let's start with the  swim bladder. most case of swim bladder are cause by over feeding and the stomach putting pressure on the swim bladder. constipation or bacterial infection of the swim bladder. Or an injury to the swim bladder. Frist I would recommend fasting your fish for a couple of days and doing epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2   gallons for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants to help with constipation. if that has no effect then I would treat with antibiotic medication in food such as maracyn2 in food furan2 is not very effective at a higher  pH above 7.8 if your in the UK I would treat with Sera baktopur direct tables if it's a damage swim bladder caused by an injury it case of wait and see some will improve given time other will not improve and may have to be euthanize if you think there suffering clove oil is one of the most humane ways to euthanize your fish

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

Edited December 12, 2023 by Colu

As of right now:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite .50 ppm

Nirate 5.0 ppm

pH 8.2

I have him on the current med trio as a general quarantine for the recommended 4-6 weeks as he is a new fish and want to make sure he doesn't have fin rot and/or columnaris as well. (My nieces fish died to all 3 so I'm a bit paranoid) Should I still stop current medications?

(Edit: just saw Colus post under this thread regarding the days of epsom salt)

Food recipe will happen next week, I need to order seachem focus and garlic guard. I can give y'all an update if I have any success 🫡

Thank you by the way!

Edited by LittleMadFish

On 7/4/2024 at 5:07 AM, LittleMadFish said:

As of right now:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite .50 ppm

Nirate 5.0 ppm

pH 8.2

I have him on the current med trio as a general quarantine for the recommended 4-6 weeks as he is a new fish and want to make sure he doesn't have fin rot and/or columnaris as well. (My nieces fish died to all 3 so I'm a bit paranoid) Should I still stop current medications?

(Edit: just saw Colus post under this thread regarding the days of epsom salt)

Food recipe will happen next week, I need to order seachem focus and garlic guard. I can give y'all an update if I have any success 🫡

Thank you by the way!

0.5ppm of nitrite is going to slow the healing process and is harmful at that level what I would be doing is test daily any time you detect nitrite is do a 50% water changes and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any nitrite till it constantly stays at zero