Need a second opinion

I recently tested my water parameters for ammonia since I dosed to 2PPM ammonia since im cycling my tank. What reading do you guys think this is? Im guessing its 2 PPM however im unsure.

image.jpg

You’re probably right, or very close to 2ppm anyway. Either way it’s definitely close enough. I’ve heard for easier reading, look down the center of the tube longways. The colors are easier to distinguish. I haven’t tried it that way though. But planning on it next time i can’t decide a color.

• Like 1

With API liquid test kits it can be hard to discriminate between certain numbers.  Diluting a test sample 50% with tap water, assuming the tap water is free of the substance you are testing for, can help identify the level of the tank water… ie if your tap water testsfree of ammonia and you do 50% tank water, 50% tap and the test results look very deep green still, than your tank water is probably closer to 4 ppm vs 2.  However if the dilution looks a lot closer to 1 ppm, then you know tank water is closer to 2 ppm..

I find this technique very helpful in determining what nitrate levels are as 10 and 20 ppm levels are hard to discriminate between as well as 40 and 80 ppm levels look similar..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Between 1 and 2 ppm, but closet to 2 ppm. The Ammonia test for the API test kit is hard to read, so i go into a bright room, with lights, and lots of sunshine and it really brings out the color so it is easier to see. 

• Like 2

Like most have said 1ppm or 2ppm just don't go over 4 if you hit 5 you can do a little water change if that happens I shoot for 2ppm. I agree with Whitecloud09 propper light makes a lot of difference I use a led head lamp. I would add how close or far away you hold the test tube from the color chart makes a difference. Try it next time with a bright led light and move the tube in and out  then lay it down on the chart and you will see what I mean. Try this have your water tested then make your reading match the stores or lab. Match it by moving the tube make a note of this distance  and use the same light at all times. Also make sure to hold the tube over the white area of the chart. If the colors on the test next to the one you are testing bother you put white paper over them to block them out. I like  Pepere idea I'll have to try that next time.  Bottom line isyou can make it read different by the way you take the test so do it the same way every time. Shake all bottles espcially #2 nitrAte bottle it seperates while it sits and must be shook longer 1 minute or longer if it is cold and use a timer. Hope this helps. I'm always open for corrections

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 9:56 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Other than losing animals, trying to determine various shades of colors is by far my least favorite part of the hobby. I'd probably test a lot more often if it didn't feel like such an exercise on frustration.

I'm blind in what use to be my dominate eye and the other is not as good as it could be. I see electronic testers in my future🥴

• Like 2

On 7/3/2024 at 11:24 AM, Airborne 82nd said:

I'm blind in what use to be my dominate eye and the other is not as good as it could be. I see electronic testers in my future🥴

I'd love for something like a TDS pen but for all the other things I could test for. I know API has the "Aquaspin" device, my LFS has one, but it's expensive, so I don't really have any first hand experience with it.