Something is wrong with my Husband betta Dredd

SlaeStacy

Hi,

I'm new to this site and well I belong to a bunch of betta groups on Facebook and found y’all on Facebook…

well I need to know what’s going on with Dredd as he is my husband 4 month old betta 

He has had a bump on his head for the 4 months we have had him and his fins seem frayed 

I’m scared to use stuff as I fear it will kill him and the others we have now in his tank as tank mates 

the items I have used are in a picture as well 

plus this is the food we feed him and my betta Star 

this is the water we use for both tanks

(5 Gallon Tank for Star) and (10 Gallon Tank for Dredd)

as on the pictures this is what we do for them 

and it is a bothersome on all these betta groups as they are being mean telling us to get this that and the other 

we don’t know what is going on can you please help us 

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5688.jpeg

IMG_5687.jpeg

First thing. Could you tell us what the test strips say so we can tell if your water is safe. 

second thing. I’d forget about the bottled water. It’s more consistent to use your tap water. 

third thing. And this one’s hard to hear. Bettas from petsmart/petco often don’t live anywhere near as long as they should. My bettas live anywhere from 3 months to 2 years. A lot live less than a year from there. Their genetic stock has gotten weak. They are more susceptible to diseases and develop weird tumors. 

fourth thing. You’re going to want some actual medicine to treat him.  Either maracyn2 or kanaplex. Either from a local fish store or from Amazon. As for what and how the best way to treat is. @Colu

• Like 2

On 6/27/2024 at 2:44 AM, SlaeStacy said:

Hi Tony,

Thank You for replying to me…..

1st Thing - Parameters should be good as we did a water change yesterday..

2nd Thing - We have had no trouble with the Water in the Jug to be honest 

3rd Thing - Dredd is 4 months old….He does have a Tumor I believe we are doing our best to take care of him for however long he lives as even though PetSmart are not wise in advice nor care on betas.This is truly IMH what all that we can do….We realize it is do to genetic defect…Hubby got 1 betta before named Dutch who has 2 bumps on his spine and swimmers bladder so we did return him.

here is 2 pictures of Dredd and 1 of Dutch.

4th Thing - I can  get those at PetSmart right? This is what I have used so far the API Test Strips and  Stress Coat….And this Picture is what I researched threw this company we are on now —Aquarium Co Op—

On 6/27/2024 at 2:07 AM, Tony s said:

First thing. Could you tell us what the test strips say so we can tell if your water is safe. 

second thing. I’d forget about the bottled water. It’s more consistent to use your tap water. 

third thing. And this one’s hard to hear. Bettas from petsmart/petco often don’t live anywhere near as long as they should. My bettas live anywhere from 3 months to 2 years. A lot live less than a year from there. Their genetic stock has gotten weak. They are more susceptible to diseases and develop weird tumors. 

fourth thing. You’re going to want some actual medicine to treat him.  Either maracyn2 or kanaplex. Either from a local fish store or from Amazon. As for what and how the best way to treat is. @Colu

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

What your ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature just in case something off tumors are really common in Betta's due to low genetic diversity looks like the start of  rot what I would do is add is Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect and do a course of maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties maracyn2 shrimp and snails safe 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2024 at 5:17 AM, Colu said:

What your ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature just in case something off tumors are really common in Betta's due to low genetic diversity looks like the start of  rot what I would do is add is Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect and do a course of maracyn2 active ingredient minocycline also has anti-inflammatory properties maracyn2 shrimp and snails safe 

Ok and what of these guys 

the 2 Otos - Mud and Tara are chasing 1 Peppered Cory - Slime

and Slime is Swimming up and down frantically 

IMG_5729.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

On 6/27/2024 at 11:26 AM, SlaeStacy said:

Ok and what of these guys 

the 2 Otos - Mud and Tara are chasing 1 Peppered Cory - Slime

and Slime is Swimming up and down frantically 

IMG_5729.jpeg

IMG_5727.jpeg

Cory like to be kept in groups what are you feeding the Otto's and Cory

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Here is All of them

On 6/27/2024 at 5:31 AM, Colu said:

Cory like to be kept in groups what are your feeding the Otto's and Cory

For the Cory was this not sure the Otos

IMG_5696.jpeg

Here are Before and. After of hubby betta Dredd

IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

Dredd is 4 months old 

Not really normal behavior for Cory’s, but if he’s new, he may just be exploring. I’d definitely start a round of maracyn2 for the betta. Not going to be stocked at pets art. You’ll either have to order from Amazon or from local fish store. If you have green algae growing on stuff, the otos will use that for food, for now. They’re really good at cleaning though. So will need veggies or veggie wafers soon.  They won’t necessarily eat those pellets. But you can try. Still need your test strip numbers to see the water quality. 

• Like 1

Water quality is one of the most important things here in this situation, and also i one time thought about spring water for my betta sonic before he passed, but decided that it is somewhat tricky. Tap will be a lot better, but you might have a solution already. So, for your betta's treatment, maracyn 2, will be best like @Tony s. I also recommend salt but not during maracyn2 treatment, the fritz salt. After parameters, further instruction can be better. 

On 6/27/2024 at 6:56 AM, Tony s said:

Not really normal behavior for Cory’s, but if he’s new, he may just be exploring. I’d definitely start a round of maracyn2 for the betta. Not going to be stocked at pets art. You’ll either have to order from Amazon or from local fish store. If you have green algae growing on stuff, the otos will use that for food, for now. They’re really good at cleaning though. So will need veggies or veggie wafers soon.  They won’t necessarily eat those pellets. But you can try. Still need your test strip numbers to see the water quality. 

Ok can you recommend a good brand of maracyn2 ? On Amazon 

On 6/27/2024 at 7:11 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Water quality is one of the most important things here in this situation, and also i one time thought about spring water for my betta sonic before he passed, but decided that it is somewhat tricky. Tap will be a lot better, but you might have a solution already. So, for your betta's treatment, maracyn 2, will be best like @Tony s. I also recommend salt but not during maracyn2 treatment, the fritz salt. After parameters, further instruction can be better. 

Ok can you show me maracyn2 brand please

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 7:52 AM, Nora Loves Corys said:

Here is a resource about white bumps and patches on betta fish: https://fishkeepandchill.com/conversations/f/white-bumps-and-patches-on-bettas-what-are-they-and-how-to-treat. I think it will be helpful for understanding what might be going on with Dredd.

You obviously care about him a lot!

We do care about him we have had him for 4 months now 

Here is a resource about white bumps and patches on betta fish: https://fishkeepandchill.com/conversations/f/white-bumps-and-patches-on-bettas-what-are-they-and-how-to-treat. I think it will be helpful for understanding what might be going on with Dredd.

But like what do we do as far as the fin rot now these are before and after pics 

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1221.jpeg

Here is what we use :

API Stress Coat and 5 in 1 Test Strips as well as Ammonia Test Strips 

the Stress Coat we did last night so we are waiting to see how it goes 

I’m wondering  if we need to use the 

API  Fin and Body Cure

Fritz A+ Aquarium Salt

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5705.jpeg

IMG_5694.jpeg

On 6/27/2024 at 6:20 AM, SlaeStacy said:

But like what do we do as far as the fin rot now these are before and after pics 

To help your fish's fins, you could focus on maintaining the water quality (frequent water changes) and considering using salt, which can be a safe and effective treatment for many common parasites and bacteria. Salt also helps make your fish feel better. Here is an article about using salt in your aquarium: https://fishkeepandchill.com/conversations/f/using-aquarium-salt-treat-diseases-wounds-and-nitrite-poisoning.

In the article, it talks about using somewhere between 1-3 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons of water. You could start with 1 tablespoon of salt and see how your fish reacts, and then go from there.

On 6/27/2024 at 6:40 AM, SlaeStacy said:

I’m wondering  if we need to use the 

API  Fin and Body Cure

Fritz A+ Aquarium Salt

The aquarium salt is a great idea! (See my previous reply). I would avoid over-the-counter antibiotics; I think they tend to cause more problems than actual help.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 8:41 AM, CoryWithAKatana said:

I don't wanna sound dumb bcs you might already know this, Dont just plop some tap water into your tank, it must be treated for chlorine first. Just an FYI if you didn't know

No I didn’t but Thank You 

On 6/27/2024 at 8:56 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

@SlaeStacy, can you dip one of those API 5-in-1 test strips in Dredd's tank, hold it up to the color guide on the package, snap a photo, and post it here? The best advice will depend on what that test strip says.

Yes I can do that 

• Like 3

Here they are as you wanted to know earlier 

IMG_5767.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

On 6/27/2024 at 2:07 AM, Tony s said:

Here you go Tony 

IMG_5767.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

On 6/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, Tony s said:

Thank you. Does the bit for the no2 look on the pink side? If that’s the case, your nitrites are on the high side. Which is anything above 0. A reading on ammonia would be good. 

a water change is definitely in order if nitrites are pink. 

I can’t get the Ammonia test strips right now but I plan on it and we just did a Water Change Yesterday 

• Like 2