unknown contaminants in water

If there are contaminants, what are they? If they don't know what they are, how do they know there are contaminates? 

Then worry about your fish. 

Edited by Cory
Stick to the topic at hand and answering the question. Saying to Sue the city isn't helpful.

• Administrators

If I got that letter, I would do likely just change water on one tank, observe for a couple days. then go back to normal. Contaminants enter ponds/lakes/rivers all the time and our drinking water. With live plants they get striped out. So unless the concentrations are so high that plants can't deal with them you're likely fine. Plus your dechlor breaks down chlorine/chloramine which is usually what the water companies add more of when there are contaminants. You could also do your first water change as a smaller one as it would be more diluted of whatever the contaminant was in the water. However most notices are sent after it's already been in the water, so theres a 50% chance whatever it is, is already is in your aquarium.

A local fish club, or neighborhood group can be useful in these situations as there are others that will have fish tanks or ponds and would report if they had any problems as well.

On 6/22/2024 at 2:46 PM, Lonkley said:

You could also temporarily get rodi from your lfs and add minerals to it

I would hold off on the water change until knowing for sure the water is safe for fish.

• Like 1

Cory is right, if the water was so unsafe they would have said not to drink.  The city I used to live in had a very old system and would put boil warning often.  I only ran into an issue because they changed from chlorine to chloramine. I lost fish due to the freed ammonia.  

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice. I actually did a water change last night for my shrimp and they seem perfectly fine today, so like mentioned by cory its probably already in my tanks. But i will will probably do smaller changes for a while and be safe with the rest of the tanks. 

• Like 1