I need a wrench for a tight space

My shutoff valve for my outside faucets is leaking. I likely need to tighten the packing nut. However, the space I have to work with is really small. I can't get a wrench in here. I don't have a basin wrench but I know this is too small a space for that too. 

The nut is really close to a piece of wood which makes it harder to access. 

Any ideas on what kind of tool I could use? 

This is a small panel in a basement wall. PXL_20240615_200413965.jpg.33cc4ef74061ca869039075483792dff.jpg

cant help much, but i can say that picture makes me angry. whatever slimy bozo did the wiring like that, and the plumbing stuffed tight in together, and put in a teeny tiny access panel..... just anger.

• Like 3

yep, that's a mess. possibly if you can get that corroded handle off you might be able to get a socket wrench in there. you'll need a good deepwell to do it. chances of you getting it off are slim to none though. you could break the handle intentionally though. just to get the socket on.

and of course, your ceiling is 2 inches above the panel. so even to get to it better you'd end up cutting away a bunch of drywall from 2 directions. they did you dirty 

possibly the best bet is to completely reconfigure the access panel and/or the valve. depending on how handy you are. or get a contractor to look at it. doesn't look cheap though

• Like 2

I appreciate the feedback. And I agree this wasn't well throughout when the previous owners built out the basement. 

I ordered some crows feet wrenches.   Maybe that'll help. Never heard of it until I searched for a solution. 

On 6/15/2024 at 10:47 PM, Gideyon said:

I ordered some crows feet wrenches.

If you can get beside it, they should do nicely. Depends how much room. And I’m assuming you’ll need a breaker bar type wrench. Like a socket wrench without the movement. Socket wrench will work with it. But can be a pain when it ratchets and you don’t want it to. Great choice. I had completely forgotten about them we have a set. We have a farm shop. We have a set of everything 🤣. Very valuable in spots. But honestly, one of my least favorite tools 🤣

Also depends on the size needed. Kind of hard to tell when it’s that cramped.  And if you have my luck. You’ll be one size off 

If you can get the handle off, a swivel ratchet wrench will fit. If you can't, a crowfoot wrench should work. The crow foot attaches to an extension on a normal  ratchet.

Talk to your favorite automotive mechanic.  They usually know how to get into impossible places. 

On 6/15/2024 at 10:47 PM, Gideyon said:

I ordered some crows feet wrenches

I don't know if you saw while ordering, they also make adjustable crows foot wrenches. in case the sizing is an issue

https://www.bing.com/shop/productpage?q=crows+foot+wrench&filters=scenario%3a"17"+gType%3a"12"+gId%3a"125022392114"+gIdHash%3a"0"+gGlobalOfferIds%3a"125022392114"+AucContextGuid%3a"0"+GroupEntityId%3a"125022392114"+NonSponsoredOffer%3a"True"&productpage=true&FORM=SHPPDP&browse=true