Moving aquariums twice in 2 weeks? Dumb or okay?

I’m moving for work and I have two apartment options. They’re the same price essentially. 

One is in a slightly worse area and is in moderately worse shape, but is available now. The other is very nice but isn’t available until July 13th and very minimally more expensive. The problem is my lease is up June 30th. I have a 125 gallon tank, 2 29s, and a 15. I’m not worried about moving the small tanks but moving the large one is concerning for me.

I could move my tanks into my parent’s garage only 8 minutes away from my current place for two weeks and then make the 3 hour drive move in a couple weeks. can this be done safely? If so how should I do it. I have to make sure my archerfish, acara, and Denison barbs make it okay. 

I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this. 

Very much doable.  Personally I would move the livestock into large tubs for the duration.  Several especially if you can get some that you can leave as is and just take when you want to move.  That will probably be less stressful than moving into tub then tank then tub and tank again.  The small tanks are easy peasy.  The big ones are going to take time and thought but not hard   please tell me you have friends that have strength, I had to move my tank by myself.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2024 at 2:18 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Very much doable.  Personally I would move the livestock into large tubs for the duration.  Several especially if you can get some that you can leave as is and just take when you want to move.  That will probably be less stressful than moving into tub then tank then tub and tank again.  The small tanks are easy peasy.  The big ones are going to take time and thought but not hard   please tell me you have friends that have strength, I had to move my tank by myself.  

Could I transport 6 inch archerfish and other fish that are really flighty in like 5 gallon buckets?

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 2:26 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Yes, you just need to keep them covered 

I just worry about them hurting themselves. When I’ve quarantined archers in smaller tanks they’ve not taken it well

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 3:28 PM, Gannon said:

I just worry about them hurting themselves. When I’ve quarantined archers in smaller tanks they’ve not taken it well

You are only keeping them in the bucket for the time to move so what was that 3 hours right?  The other choice is bag them like the lfs would 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 2:49 PM, johnnyxxl said:

You are only keeping them in the bucket for the time to move so what was that 3 hours right?  The other choice is bag them like the lfs would 

I have no idea how to bag them, but I’m sure that would be better. Maybe I should try to learn or something.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 4:05 PM, Gannon said:

I have no idea how to bag them, but I’m sure that would be better. Maybe I should try to learn or something.

I suggest a Styrofoam box if you decide to use a large bag. Also suggest going to a reputable lfs to teach you how to properly bag fish. I recommend using the largest bag possible to hold more air. Do you have a portable air aquarium pump?

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 4:05 PM, Gannon said:

I have no idea how to bag them, but I’m sure that would be better

That's kind of what I was thinking. kind of cuts down on the sloshing around and potential for injury. if it sloshes a bit, it just gets bumped into another sloshing bag, instead of hard plastic. you could also keep it dark so they can't see enough to get spooked and jump. As for how else to do it. I'd be hesitant to offer any advice. You know these guys better than anyone else and what they would potentially do given any situation. And they're obviously your babies and incredibly beautiful. So, all I can say is Good Luck with the moves! and get lots of help. I'm sure it will be exhausting.

one other thing I might add. Putting them at your parents (in a temporary tote) and taking the tank a week or 2 earlier. that way you could get the tank situated and ready for them without keeping them alive in it at the same time

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, Tlindsey said:

I suggest a Styrofoam box if you decide to use a large bag. Also suggest going to a reputable lfs to teach you how to properly bag fish. I recommend using the largest bag possible to hold more air. Do you have a portable air aquarium pump?

I can get a pump!

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 9:54 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I’ve moved with a 125 before and in my experience, as long as you take your time, go over everything as you’re doing it, then you should be good. The suggestions above are excellent and you should be successful. 

Thanks for this! Gotta hope it doesn’t leak or have any issues after being in the moving truck or car!

• Like 3

On 6/14/2024 at 3:28 PM, Gannon said:
On 6/14/2024 at 10:55 PM, Gannon said:

Thanks for this! Gotta hope it doesn’t leak or have any issues after being in the moving truck or car!

The tank should be fine.

• Like 1

I've never had to take an extended trip with fish. When I purchase fish, the bagged fish travel in a cooler lined with a bath towel. This absorbs vibrations and movement, muffles sound, and provides insulation.  How you do this will likely be determined by the size of the vehicle you use, and how many helpers.

First, take the apartment that you want.  I don't think that a second move two weeks later would be a problem for the fish. There is never a guarantee as to how your fish will react to a move.  I would use 5 gallon buckets and air stones.  In addition to 3 hours of travel time , you must consider teardown and setup time on either end.  The fish can't live in the bags for two weeks.  I believe buckets or tubs are less stressful than bagging and re-bagging.  The bucket allows for more swimming space and gas exchange than a sealed bag, You have larger fish, so I don't really know how many fish can be in one bag for 3 hours.  You probably don't have the ability to move 200 gallons of water, but I would also be keeping as much of the original aquarium water as possible. This makes everything simpler on the other end.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 11:10 AM, Tanked said:

I've never had to take an extended trip with fish. When I purchase fish, the bagged fish travel in a cooler lined with a bath towel. This absorbs vibrations and movement, muffles sound, and provides insulation.  How you do this will likely be determined by the size of the vehicle you use, and how many helpers.

First, take the apartment that you want.  I don't think that a second move two weeks later would be a problem for the fish. There is never a guarantee as to how your fish will react to a move.  I would use 5 gallon buckets and air stones.  In addition to 3 hours of travel time , you must consider teardown and setup time on either end.  The fish can't live in the bags for two weeks.  I believe buckets or tubs are less stressful than bagging and re-bagging.  The bucket allows for more swimming space and gas exchange than a sealed bag, You have larger fish, so I don't really know how many fish can be in one bag for 3 hours.  You probably don't have the ability to move 200 gallons of water, but I would also be keeping as much of the original aquarium water as possible. This makes everything simpler on the other end.

Well maybe I could keep the fish in a moderately big stock tub or garbage can with my canister filter hooked up for the two weeks they’re in that garage and setup the 125 in the new place before bringing them? Someone else here suggested something like that.

the smaller aquariums I should have no problem setting up quickly in the new place. 

for one, I won’t have to use RODI water anymore, as the tap water where I’m going is fairly good besides a 7.8 ph and 6kh but I can bring those down with a little acid buffer too. But this will all make filling tanks way easier than it’s been for me in the past.

On 6/16/2024 at 1:18 PM, Gannon said:

Well maybe I could keep the fish in a moderately big stock tub or garbage can with my canister filter hooked up for the two weeks they’re in that garage and setup the 125 in the new place before bringing them? Someone else here suggested something like that.

the smaller aquariums I should have no problem setting up quickly in the new place. 

for one, I won’t have to use RODI water anymore, as the tap water where I’m going is fairly good besides a 7.8 ph and 6kh but I can bring those down with a little acid buffer too. But this will all make filling tanks way easier than it’s been for me in the past.

Absolutely.  The fish don't care what their water box is made of.  My last big move was a rescue, done with buckets and coolers, but the fish lived in a 40 gallon hazmat tub for a week until I got the water equalized. It was a little crowded, but there were zero losses. I mentioned retaining as much of the original water as possible because on the other end of the move, I believe that you have some water, wet substrate and decorations and when the fish arrive they are placed in an already cycled tank with identical water parameters. 

• Like 2

Some updates on this.

the garage I wanted to move stuff into will be very warm. Somewhere around 85 degrees. I assume this is not anywhere near good enough, so I’ll probably have to just find a spot in the basement.

secondly I found some good stock tanks, but I still need to figure out a way to have my fx6 canister filter hoses clamped onto it. Any ideas?

On 6/21/2024 at 4:05 PM, Tony s said:

small holes with zip strips?

This is exactly what I wanted to do, but I may be borrowing a stock tub from someone as theyre expensive and I can’t drill into someone else’s tub.

if I do buy one of my own that’s what I’ll do though.

• Like 1