Considering buying Co-Op live plants

I had a couple of bad experience with purchasing live plants. Purchased at Petco, got snails and disease in tank. Just bought in vitro plants and they have no roots. So I am considering buying Co-Op plants for the first time. Can anyone tell me if the plants being sold are grown in tanks exposed to other fish or snails? Thank you. 

Thank you!

I don’t believe that the plants are exposed to fish, but there might be snails, hitchhikers, I think. 
Every plant I bought from them is in excellent condition. I have bought plants for a while now, and every plant I bought was from AC.

• Like 1

the plants will be healthy, if not let them know, and they take care of it. as for snails, yes you will get snails from their plants. pretty much the only way to not get snails is to buy tissue culture plants.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I wonder if sterilizing the plants with 1:19 water to bleach ratio for 1.5-2.0 minutes will kill the hitchhikers. 

On 6/13/2024 at 9:46 PM, Tony s said:

@Vonz1 so…. What’d you buy?

I ordered:

image.png.5d8ba82c703340c172f4deb8582d67b8.png

On 6/13/2024 at 9:44 PM, lefty o said:

the plants will be healthy, if not let them know, and they take care of it. as for snails, yes you will get snails from their plants. pretty much the only way to not get snails is to buy tissue culture plants.

I wonder if sterilizing the plants with 1:19 bleach to water ratio for 1.5-2.0 minutes will kill the hitchhikers. 

Edited by Vonz1
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 9:57 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Tony s my thumbs are as black as my x wife’s soul. All the plants in my aquarium go straight in. If they survive, cool. If not, I might try again. I’m definitely a fish first kinda dude. 

Is there a process posted somewhere on Co-Op for the seltzer plant sterilization?

Sorry. I’m a bit slow 

On 6/13/2024 at 9:57 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I’m definitely a fish first kinda dude. 

Yeah. Me too. Land plants I can do. Still learning aquatic plants 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/13/2024 at 10:05 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah. Me too. Land plants I can do. Still learning aquatic plants 

Ha, I'm the exact opposite! One of the things I like about aquatic plants is that it takes the overwatering/underwatering factor entirely out of it, and that's the thing I always struggle with with terrestrial plants.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:13 PM, Vonz1 said:

Can anyone tell me if the plants being sold are grown in tanks exposed to other fish or snails?

They've had behind-the-scenes at the old Washington warehouse before explicitly showing snails in the plant storage tanks, I think intentionally. They've since moved the warehouse to Kentucky, but I doubt they'd have changed the snail policy. In any case, a) the plant health and quality I've gotten from ACO has been great; and b) if it ever wasn't, their customer service is second to none.

• Like 3

No plant order is going to be completely snail free, but I’ve ordered many plants from the Co Op and have never run into a snail problem. They do a noticeably better job making sure there aren’t pests than most other sites I’ve ordered from! But if you want the peace of mind, you can use Reverse Respiration, a bleach dip or an alum dip 🙂

• Like 3

On 6/15/2024 at 12:49 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

No plant order is going to be completely snail free, but I’ve ordered many plants from the Co Op and have never run into a snail problem. They do a noticeably better job making sure there aren’t pests than most other sites I’ve ordered from! But if you want the peace of mind, you can use Reverse Respiration, a bleach dip or an alum dip 🙂

Yea, same, and I have made probably close to 20 plant orders from them actually as well. 

• Like 2

Happy to report I got my plants from Aquarium Co-Op and the fertilizer casuals. Happy to see the plants were in really good shape after days in shipping route. I really like the sticker and the insulated reusable transport Aquarium Co-Op bag too. I used the bag to sterilize the plants. Will keep using it too. Will defiantly order more plants from Aquarium Co-Op in the future. 😊😊😊

• Like 3

Yes, I purchased dwarf grass from Aquarium CO-OP as a tissue plant. Great plant!! Unfortunately I killed most of them because I heavy doused the tank with API Aquarium Salt to help kill fin rot. 

• Like 2