Am I over/underfeeding my fish?

doink

I find feeding instructions to be overly confusing. I currently have a 29gallon community tank with 7 harlequin rasboras, 6 neon tetras, 5 panda corydoras, 2 honey gouamis, 1 bolivian ram, 1 oto (started out with 4 but only one survived), and 1 guppy (was a random fry that snuck in when I purchased other fish that ended up surviving in the tank). I feed xtreme nano pellets and xtreme bottom wafers. The instructions say to feed nano pellets and the wafers "as much as can be consumed in 2-3 minutes." Well, each day, I usually put a pinch of about 20-30 nano pellets that get gobbled up within 15 seconds and then a single bottom wafer that fish graze on for at least an hour or two (but is always gone by the next morning). Any other feeding guidelines to go by not as dependent on time? Some of my fish are super quick eaters while others take their sweet time.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, doink said:

I find feeding instructions to be overly confusing. I currently have a 29gallon community tank with 7 harlequin rasboras, 6 neon tetras, 5 panda corydoras, 2 honey gouamis, 1 bolivian ram, 1 oto (started out with 4 but only one survived), and 1 guppy (was a random fry that snuck in when I purchased other fish that ended up surviving in the tank). I feed xtreme nano pellets and xtreme bottom wafers. The instructions say to feed nano pellets and the wafers "as much as can be consumed in 2-3 minutes." Well, each day, I usually put a pinch of about 20-30 nano pellets that get gobbled up within 15 seconds and then a single bottom wafer that fish graze on for at least an hour or two (but is always gone by the next morning). Any other feeding guidelines to go by not as dependent on time? Some of my fish are super quick eaters while others take their sweet time.

Sounds like you are feeding correctly. If you're slower eaters look healthy that's great. If you notice any change I suggest feeding both at the same time. That is if the nano pellets float. That will give the bottom feeding fish a little more time to eat. @doink

• Like 3

There is no "right" way to feed the fish. You don't want them starving but you also don't want tons of uneaten food lying around. I tend to feed more than you're supposed to feed. I feed two, three, four times a day. There's never any uneaten food and my fish are happy. My water chemistry stays fine also. Hungry fish are more inclined to forget that "fish are friends, not food" so if you've got a mix of larger and smaller fish the smaller fish can start to disappear if the bigger fish get hungry. The best advice is to do what works for you, keeps the fish happy, and keeps your water quality stable.  

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, doink said:

as much as can be consumed in 2-3 minutes." Well, each day, I usually put a pinch of about 20-30 nano pellets that get gobbled up within 15 seconds and then a single bottom wafer that fish graze on for at least an hour

You really don’t have to worry about under feeding your fish. As long as everyone gets something. Fish don’t have traditional stomachs like we do. So food in equals waste out. Minus growth of course. The more waste out the more problems you can have with nitrates and algae growth. 

that being said. You have fish so you can interact with them. Feeding is the obvious way. Feeding multiple times a day is fine. But in very small amounts. The 15 seconds they take to feed is probably perfect for multiple feedings a day. As long as they’re cleaning the wafer up in a couple hours it’s fine. Wafers take time 

• Like 3

as long as you dont have food left over on the bottom fungussing etc, ie the fish eat it in a reasonable period of time, you are probably close to the correct amount. feed a consistent amount, and even if its a tiny bit too much, the bacteria levels in the tank will break it down.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, gardenman said:

There is no "right" way to feed the fish.

That pretty much sums it up.  I use flake food.  Mine get fed a pinch between the fingers once a day. After maintenance they get an a little extra. I'm not weighing the food, so even that might be over feeding.  In the real world, fish don' t get a measured amount of food everyday.  They spend a lot of time grazing.  

• Like 2