What are your loved ones' perspective on your fishkeeping?

I was just pondering this question while watching Cory today, wondering, what does his wife think of the aquarium hobby?

My husband was onboard with us getting fish and has helped a lot in doing medication water changes. He helped set up the tank and strongly suggested neon tetras. He also enjoys looking at the tank now that I've spiffied it up. But he does not really nerd out about the plants or the ecosystem or the variety of frozen foods I purchased (because we have nano fish, I can't feed a whole cube and thus cut it up then store it in a jar in the freezer). However, when I've had tough times he's happy to do basic maintenance on the tank (basic sand vaccing and water changes). 

What are your loved ones' (or roommates) perspectives on your tanks?

My husband has helped carry water buckets (especially when I've been injured) and has gone on some fish store trips. He encourages me to go to the fish store whenever I express interest, and has occasionally suggested it himself. He asks questions now and then, but usually regrets it when I go more in depth than he really wanted to know (I'm working on giving simpler answers, he's also working on that when it comes to electronics). But he doesn't particularly care either way whether we continue to have fish or not.

• Like 2

My wife enjoys having the aquariums around. She doesn’t care how many enter the home, she knows it’ll all be taken care of. Personally, I’d have a giant problem if my wife wasn’t supportive, super giant problem. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Great question. My wife likes the tanks. Mostly. She likes the fish that interests her. Like angels. I made her a 75g angel tank that she says good morning too. It’s got angels and dwarf rainbows and corys. She’s actually liking the new electric blue acara I recently added as well. Not as much into lots of little nano fish. 

But… she wants a discus tank next. I’m totally intimidated by discus 😂

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

My husband is supportive of my hobby. Because we (he mostly) are housebound for the most part, he knows it brings me joy to “fuss” with my fish. He is ok with it if I were to want another tank, but I’m currently in my sweet spot with 3 (10g, 29g and 75g). He likes to help me decide on fish, is genuinely curious about each of the fish species I keep and will occasionally ask questions about what I’m doing when I’m cleaning or maintaining them. He doesn’t care much about hand plants. He likes to sit in front of the 74g with me I. The evening and just watch the fish.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

To be honest, my wife is not too keen on fish keeping. She is an animal lover, but only grew up with cats, whereas I grew up with dogs, as well as fish, amphibians, and turtles. We’re now a family of five, plus two dogs and a cat. At home, I have a 10g with currently only an African dwarf frog and snails in it, and I had to persuade her to let me keep that (it’s on our bar with a sink, so that makes it easy to maintain). I’m fortunate that as a biology teacher, I also have a lab, and that’s where I keep my bigger tanks: a 29g with zebra danios, guppies, and snails; and a 55g with two angelfish and a blue acara. My wife does not want big tanks like those in our house. The 29g used to be in our home, but she’s much happier with it at the lab instead. TBH having the big tanks in the lab does make it easier to maintain them, since they’re right next to a sink as well. The only catch is that during the summer time, I rely on auto-feeders to dispense flakes or pellets, and then I come in once a month to check on them, do water changes, and replenish the feeders. So, I do kind of miss them in the summertime, and auto-feeders can’t feed them frozen foods like brine shrimp or blood worms. However, it’s worth it for the convenience of water changes, and peace in the home.

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ny partner thinks I am spending waaaaay too much money in this hobby, though they also share my interest in aquascapes. They're not that into fish but they really like shrimp. They think I am insane because I want to buy dragon stones for cash when there are perfectly fine rocks outside 😉

Edited by VanDogh
Typos
  • Haha 4

On 6/9/2024 at 10:08 AM, VanDogh said:

Ny partner thinks I am spending waaaaay too much money in this hobby

I understand them completely. I agree with that. I think I spend too much also. This hobby is not cheap 

• Like 3

My wife is very supportive of my over 30 years of fishkeeping. Last weekend my wife and daughter purchased a fx6 cannister filter for a early father's day gift. I was thankful but returned the canister filter because I already have a sump. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 8:16 PM, Tony s said:

I understand them completely. I agree with that. I think I spend too much also. This hobby is not cheap 

It's a blessing and a curse hahaha

• Haha 3

On 6/10/2024 at 11:15 AM, Tanked said:

Oh, You have fish!  How wonderful for you.

OR

"Why didn't you do saltwater?"

LOL … I hate it when people compare my freshwater tanks to saltwater. Freshwater is definitely my favorite!

• Like 1
  • Love 1