LARGE floaters?

Posted (edited)

Howdy! I want to get some large floating plants for my aquarium. I have a 30gallon, moderate flow, neutral pH and gH/dH. High light.

I know of water lettuce, but are there any other large or medium sized floater plants? 

I have noticed that my pygmy cories prefer to eat live foods [blood worms, daphnia, grindal worms] if they are tangled up in the roots of floater plants. 

Additionally I plan to have pothos growing emergent. Also considering some other plants to grow emersed (swamp fern, creeping jenny, etc).

Edit: frog-bit, water hyacinth, water wisteria, parrot's feather, egeria densa (brazilian elodea), giant salvinia (only salvinia molesta - other salvinia spp. ok), and trapa najas are all invasive and prohibited in my state. 

Edited by clownbaby
i cant have frog-bit lol

not necessarily a floater, but you could let some tiger lotus bulbs put lily pads on the top. plus you'd get the very red bottoms leaves to add color on the bottom. 

On 5/24/2024 at 2:34 PM, Tony s said:

not necessarily a floater, but you could let some tiger lotus bulbs put lily pads on the top. plus you'd get the very red bottoms leaves to add color on the bottom. 

I quite like that idea! Don't tiger lotus bulbs flower too, like water lilies?

On 5/24/2024 at 5:55 PM, clownbaby said:

Don't tiger lotus bulbs flower too, like water lilies

I think so, but I trim mine down before that. They throw a lot of shade 

Posted (edited)

Brazilian Pennywort has quarter sized leaves and really thrives floating! I just barely got mine and it’s doing super well in pretty low light 🙂

Water Sprite also does well floating. It turns into a massive chunk that you can easily trim and move around if needed. And the emergent grown leaves look cool!

Edited by EricksonAquatics
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 4:49 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Brazilian Pennywort has quarter sized leaves and really thrives floating! I just barely got mine and it’s doing super well in pretty low light 🙂

Water Sprite also does well floating. It turns into a massive chunk that you can easily trim and move around if needed. And the emergent grown leaves look cool!

Do you think pennywort would do okay in higher light? My fish tank is between two large windows and it has a pretty powerful LED (plus the other LEDs for my houseplants) that is on for eight hours lol. I would LOVEEE pennywort but I wouldn't want to get it just for it to die from too much light.

On 5/24/2024 at 3:13 PM, Tony s said:

I think so, but I trim mine down before that. They throw a lot of shade 

How big are the floating leaves if you were to say?

On 5/25/2024 at 5:26 PM, clownbaby said:

How big are the floating leaves if you were to say?

mine have gotten about 6-8 inches across. so pretty big. If you get 5-6 of these at a time. gets kind of dark below. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2024 at 3:26 PM, clownbaby said:

Do you think pennywort would do okay in higher light?

Absolutely! I didn’t expect it to do well in lower light because I’ve heard it’s more of a med-high light kinda guy. In higher light I’d expect it to grow like crazy!

Plus, once it takes over the top of the tank you can grab a stem and plant it in the substrate for a cool eye catcher😉

• Like 2

Pennywort is a floater? I did not know that, I knew frog bit, duckweed, water wisteria, but didn’t know pennywort. Learn something new every day! 

On 5/25/2024 at 6:37 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Absolutely! I didn’t expect it to do well in lower light because I’ve heard it’s more of a med-high light kinda guy. In higher light I’d expect it to grow like crazy!

Plus, once it takes over the top of the tank you can grab a stem and plant it in the substrate for a cool eye catcher😉

Hmmm, gotta add it to the cart lol. If it grows in high light, then I am in, my light is really bright.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 7:29 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Learn something new every day

Lots of stem plants and others are often floated until they develop better root systems. And then planted. Makes it easier to keep down. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 10:58 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Water chestnut is an unusual larger one I’ve been wanting to try. It’s probably invasive though

Not sure where you are located but Amazon will let me in SC order water chestnut seeds.  They were how I found I could not get water lettuce.  

Edited by johnnyxxl
Autocorrect

On 5/28/2024 at 1:33 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Not sure where you are located but Amazon will let me in SC order water chestnut seeds.  They were how I found I could not get water lettuce.  

Unfortunately my state is very strict on invasive species (which I am grateful for, but sometimes bummed about it too haha) and quarantines a lot of exotics before they even are sold in the state. The only floaters I can get here in my state is water lettuce, duckweed, azolla fern, and salvinia minima. So that's why I am trying to find larger species since only water lettuce is big hahaha

I'm personally a fan of Pogostemon Stellatus 'Octopus' as a floating plant.
It's easy to manage, doesn't block out the light because the leaves stay thin, and there's enough spaces for the fish to root around in a clump of it.
I use it a lot in my guppy tanks, which also host corys.

I can have a giant clump of it in the tank, and the fish can still wiggle through it looking for food.

pogostemon-stellatus-octopus-00810055290192-32686989213765.jpg

• Like 2

Same, i am on a rampage for plants right now lol. I was not sure i should try it because i cannot even pronounce the name LOL

On 5/29/2024 at 12:27 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I loved seeing that stuff when Cory had his pond tubs in his fish room. The Pogo looked like it was THRIVING just under the light from the skylights! I need to get my hands on some so I can try it out!

On 5/29/2024 at 12:27 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I loved seeing that stuff when Cory had his pond tubs in his fish room. The Pogo looked like it was THRIVING just under the light from the skylights! I need to get my hands on some so I can try it out!

Yeah. I like water wisteria as well, but OP listed it as one he can't use ... and it really does grow too fast. I have to chop it back on a regular basis.
The hanging roots are nice though.

Pearl Weed also works, but I don't like it as much. It tends to collect algae and block the surface more than I like. The fish have a harder time navigating through it. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 10:07 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Same, i am on a rampage for plants right now lol. I was not sure i should try it because i cannot even pronounce the name LOL

Po go stem on Still at us

Scientific names are easy if you break it down into "real" English words. Also,,, this is a good idea!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, sumplkrum said:

Yeah. I like water wisteria as well, but OP listed it as one he can't use ... and it really does grow too fast. I have to chop it back on a regular basis.
The hanging roots are nice though.

Pearl Weed also works, but I don't like it as much. It tends to collect algae and block the surface more than I like. The fish have a harder time navigating through it. 

True, mine is in the substrate and has lots of algae, but is still thriving right now!