Sick Mystery snail?

Greetings fish friends, 

One of mystery snails has been laying on the ground half out of her shell for the past few days. She's not dead- I've seen her extend her breathing tube out and will slightly pull into her shell if i reach in the tank.  I've had her a few months and she has been super active until recently. The mystery snails  have been doing some heavy breeding lately- i think she is the one who's laid 3 clutches in the past 3 weeks (two have hatched!).  

Tank:

- 20 gal planted (amazon frogbit/ floating water wisteria) a few hillstream loaches and a couple guppies. everyone else appears health. 

- no ammonium/nitrites/nitrates. pH 7.6

The other snails are all acting/eating normal. 

Not sure if there is anything i can/should do. I saw her extending her breathing tube so  pulled her out into a shallow bowl and i saw her take some breaths, but then she just curled back into her shell. Wasn't sure if it was better for her to stay in her tank or keep her in a more shallow bowl so she could breath when she wanted to. 

Thanks!IMG_7465.jpeg.7a1ea5b2089a467ee97a0287ee2dba26.jpeg

On 5/23/2024 at 12:07 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Colu, or @Odd Duck are our disease people, wondering if they would know…..if this is not a sickness, not sure if they would know, but most likely. but idk anything about snails, I am getting my first today, so very new to the snail thing @jkh772

Not much experience with snails what have you been feeding what your KH and GH 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If your snail moves around when you reach into the tank then im guessing its sleeping. Im not trying to be funny or anything but Mystery snails are known to sleep for days on end sometimes. Your momma snail is probs tired for having so many babies. If the disease experts r stumped I would say this is probably the most likely answer. I have had mystery snails before nd they do this so I speak from Experience. If you are worried try taking her out of the tank and smelling her. if she gives off a bad oder then its dead but if your snail recedes into its shell and tries t run from you then its just sleepy

Edited by CoryWithAKatana
  • Like 2

Thanks @CoryWithAKatana . I'm hoping she just needs a break but wanted to make sure if there was anything else to worry about. Its been about 4 days with barely any movement- she is usually cruising around the walls and rocks.  fingers crossed!

Thanks!

• Like 2

Others are correct in that mysteries will sometimes rest for days on end then continue on like nothing was wrong.  They will do this with food comas or after laying eggs and sometimes randomly.  If you’re concerned, then use a breeder net, ideally add an airstone inside or under the breeder net, and smell the snail daily.  If you find they’ve escaped the breeder net, they’re usually fine.  Foul odor means death.  There really isn’t much you can do as far as medication.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/23/2024 at 8:59 AM, jkh772 said:

Greetings fish friends, 

One of mystery snails has been laying on the ground half out of her shell for the past few days. She's not dead- I've seen her extend her breathing tube out and will slightly pull into her shell if i reach in the tank.  I've had her a few months and she has been super active until recently. The mystery snails  have been doing some heavy breeding lately- i think she is the one who's laid 3 clutches in the past 3 weeks (two have hatched!).  

Tank:

- 20 gal planted (amazon frogbit/ floating water wisteria) a few hillstream loaches and a couple guppies. everyone else appears health. 

- no ammonium/nitrites/nitrates. pH 7.6

The other snails are all acting/eating normal. 

Not sure if there is anything i can/should do. I saw her extending her breathing tube so  pulled her out into a shallow bowl and i saw her take some breaths, but then she just curled back into her shell. Wasn't sure if it was better for her to stay in her tank or keep her in a more shallow bowl so she could breath when she wanted to. 

Thanks!IMG_7465.jpeg.7a1ea5b2089a467ee97a0287ee2dba26.jpeg

It sounds like your mystery snail may be experiencing some health issues. Since she's been active in breeding and has suddenly become lethargic, it could indicate stress or a health problem. Ensure water parameters remain stable and consider offering calcium-rich foods like blanched vegetables or dedicated snail food to support shell health. Keep monitoring her closely for any changes. Mastering Harvard citation style can be tricky, but this guide on https://academized.com/blog/harvard-citation-style-a-detailed-guide-from-experts makes it much simpler. I used it to format my research paper, and it was a lifesaver. The step-by-step instructions and examples helped me get everything right. Highly recommend this resource for students and researchers alike.

Replying for the updates.

Edit: Thanks for the update.

Edited by RebeccaScott
  • Like 1

Guppies are horribly mean towards snails in my experience.

I did try several species with rabbit snails, vivparus and mystery snails. They do bother them A LOT. 

As a person with experience with maaany snails and 7 guppy species only tanks,  I would say snails working successfully with guppies are less likely than it fails.

Once I moved a snail of mine, Morty, to my panda guppy tank and he suddenly was inactive all the time. I saw him moving around one day. Oh boy, even the tiniest baby guppies were biting his flesh when he was out.

So yea, guppies are pretty bad snail tank mates in my experience. All my snails were scared to death to come out in any guppy tank during the day just because almost all species I tried them with bullied them whenever.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:37 PM, Lennie said:

Guppies are horribly mean towards snails in my experience

Thank you for that. Am new to guppies since we've only bought from PET.... and couldn't keep them alive for more than a month at a time. That's the only tank I have with no snails, so now I won't bother.

And I wouldn't say they're mean exactly. Honestly, they remind me of pigs or puppies. They have to keep getting their noses into everything. especially pigs. they are smart enough to be bored. and then chew on everything, constantly.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 1