Tail issues

TeeJay

My large female redtail splitfin goodeids has something on her tail..a few weeks ago it seemed like she scraped it on something. It seemed to be healing well then just a day or two ago I noticed it starting to get fuzzy for the lack of better term...any ideas. @Colu no issues with anyone else in the tank. Temp is 73 oh about 7.2-7.4 high hardness

https://youtube.com/shorts/DgN57OmASPs?si=XzrGbvLEc0iJ2VcN

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Looking at the pictures it could have a bacterial component with the fuzzy appearance you described it could have a secondary fungal infection what I would do is  quarantine if you can and treat with maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank with ick X combination of the two medication will treat bacterial and fungal infections and you could add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes @TeeJay

1000000026.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2024 at 8:51 PM, Colu said:

Looking at the pictures it could have a bacterial component with the fuzzy appearance you described it could have a secondary fungal infection what I would do is  quarantine if you can and treat with maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days and dose the tank with ick X combination of the two medication will treat bacterial and fungal infections and you could add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes @TeeJay

1000000026.png

Yes I got her in a qt tank and just added a bit of salt until I had a better idea of what was going on 

• Like 1

it looks rather suspiciously tumor like to me.  It seems like it has some “heft” to vs the very light, fluttery, super fluffy look of most fungus.  Plus I don’t know of any fish fungus species that’s pinkish but tumors are often pinkish.  I can’t be certain, she’s moving too fast and I can’t find where I can slow down the playback speed since it’s a “short”.  Do you happen to have a longer video of it on YouTube so I can choose the playback speed?

Because of where it’s located, you might be able to snip it off.  You might get a tiny bit of bleeding, but it shouldn’t be much.  Ideally, you would have a vet check it but it can be very tough to find a vet willing to do fish and they aren’t cheap when you can find them.  🤷🏻‍♀️ If you want to come to Texas, I’m happy to help.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 1:01 AM, Odd Duck said:

it looks rather suspiciously tumor like to me.  It seems like it has some “heft” to vs the very light, fluttery, super fluffy look of most fungus.  Plus I don’t know of any fish fungus species that’s pinkish but tumors are often pinkish.  I can’t be certain, she’s moving too fast and I can’t find where I can slow down the playback speed since it’s a “short”.  Do you happen to have a longer video of it on YouTube so I can choose the playback speed?

Because of where it’s located, you might be able to snip it off.  You might get a tiny bit of bleeding, but it shouldn’t be much.  Ideally, you would have a vet check it but it can be very tough to find a vet willing to do fish and they aren’t cheap when you can find them.  🤷🏻‍♀️ If you want to come to Texas, I’m happy to help.

https://youtu.be/wRNy4vVtKa4?si=zsHwv1PB-SGcdNeW