New Aquarium Kinda Confused

So, I have. 20 gallon aquarium as seen in the picture. I would like some advice on A: Starting the Fish-In cycling process and B: Scaping Ideas, I wanted to put some rooted plant into the little bowl filled with gravel on the left as a foreground plant and maybe some ideas for background plants. My substrate is sand so..... ye. Any advice would be appreciated! 

20240514_162918.jpg

On 5/14/2024 at 8:55 PM, lefty o said:

get your plants in, and start with a fish or 2. dont go crazy.

Yes, and choose tough, hardy species that can survive toxic water conditions, like a betta or a few guppies.

Why are you going guy a fish in cycle? Do you already have the fish in another tank that you've realized is too small?

Is it just sand or is there something under it? How deep is the sand? 

It looks like you have Texas holey rock on there. Some val may do well as a background plant but you may want a little more substrate

On 5/15/2024 at 4:21 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Betta, guppies, WCMMs, hardy fish, definitely goes a long way for a fish in cycle because the ammonia being present. Val would look nice, I love Val jungles so cool and jungley if that’s a word.

You're gonna have to humor me cuz im not accustomed to all the abbreviations. Im not "hip" or "swag" as the youngsters say (for legal reasons this is a joke I'm 15 XD)

Stem plants are great for background plants.  They don't have real roots like say grass or trees.  You can just weight them down or stick them in the sand.  You can also check my link below for some plants that should be easy.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 7:12 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

UPDATE: Funnily enough I went out today and bought two Valisernaria and got them planted. here is an updated picture

20240515_190506.jpg

Wait, is this a 20g version of my 10g topfin starter kit tank? That’s my exact tank! Right here 

35CFF7D4-5140-4CDD-90C3-ADABF1039EEC.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 5/15/2024 at 9:26 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Wait, is this a 20g version of my 10g topfin starter kit tank? That’s my exact tank! Right here 

35CFF7D4-5140-4CDD-90C3-ADABF1039EEC.jpeg

It is a 20 gallon but idk about A top fin starter... (I bought it from FB marketplace)

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 4:52 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Valisernaria is Val,😅

Based on the updated picture of my tank, would you say I have the Valisernaria is a good growing condition? Do I need to get root tabs for it? ...I realized when I got back from the store that I should've bough stem plants cuz I mainly have sand as substrate. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 1:08 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Based on the updated picture of my tank, would you say I have the Valisernaria is a good growing condition? Do I need to get root tabs for it? ...I realized when I got back from the store that I should've bough stem plants cuz I mainly have sand as substrate. 

Yes you will need root tabs, they take their nutrition from the water column and the substrate/sand etc. since it’s in those jars I would put about 2 tabs per jar, the AC easy root tabs are great. And if you don’t have the all in one fertilizer I recommend that too.

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Thanks 1