I have a planted 55 gal. tank with mixed tetras, otocinclus, cories and nerite snails. My anubias leaves are yellowing along the edges and tips. They've been in the tank for 4 mos. I have little to no iron in the water. Is it possible (and safe) to dissolve an iron supplement tablet in the tank? The tablets are 65 mg. carbonyl iron and 125 mg. ascorbic acid. My pH is about 8.2, carbonates around 300 ppm, total alkalinity 180 ppm, total hardness about 25 ppm. My Java ferns, water lilly and banana plants are very happy. I dose with Easy Green liquid every 2 weeks  and tabs once a month. Anyone have advise?

20240509_132213.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 6:11 PM, lefty o said:

easy iron, or leaf zone would be the simplest.

All iron is not equal, I believe easy iron is edta iron and will barely be absorbed at your ph. I'm not sure what type of iron leaf zone is, but for best absorption use the correct type of iron! The graph below shows absorption rates of the diffrent irons at various ph.

FloridaIronChelates.JPG.d542e8eb3935c627432b4cdaf205a36a.JPG

Edited by JoeQ

On 5/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, JoeQ said:

All iron is not equal, I believe easy iron is edta iron and will barely be absorbed at your ph. I'm not sure what type of iron leaf zone is, but for best absorption use the correct type of iron! The graph below shows absorption rates of the diffrent irons at various ph.

FloridaIronChelates.JPG.d542e8eb3935c627432b4cdaf205a36a.JPG

leaf zone is chelated iron. any more specific i cant tell ya.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 8:56 PM, lefty o said:

leaf zone is chelated iron. any more specific i cant tell ya.

Leaf zone is dtpa iron according to the website.