Surprise Freshwater Snail

Found two of these snails when I was transferring my stock and some fauna from my original tank into a new and bigger tank.

Of course, I purposely sought out all snail free plants in my original tank setup. However, we do have well water here where I live. 

Could I have gotten these from my water supply?

anyone know what kind of snail they are?

IMG_6533.jpeg

IMG_6532.jpeg

They appear to be ramshorn snails. I seriously doubt they came from your well. I keep ramsborm in most of my tanks, don't overfeed and there numbers will stay in check and keep your tank clean.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 6:56 PM, klynnpoet said:

Found two of these snails when I was transferring my stock and some fauna from my original tank into a new and bigger tank.

Of course, I purposely sought out all snail free plants in my original tank setup. However, we do have well water here where I live. 

Could I have gotten these from my water supply?

anyone know what kind of snail they are?

IMG_6533.jpeg

IMG_6532.jpeg

Looks like  Ramshorn @klynnpoet

No plant can be guaranteed snail free. Even if they pick off every snail there's a chance of eggs being on plants. The only way to have snail free plants is to treat them yourself before introducing them to a tank. 

On 5/7/2024 at 5:39 PM, Cinnebuns said:

No plant can be guaranteed snail free. Even if they pick off every snail there's a chance of eggs being on plants. The only way to have snail free plants is to treat them yourself before introducing them to a tank. 

Or in the plant! Snails and some fish will cut holes in plants and lay eggs inside them. Then seal the plant back up ala Alien

• Like 2