Guppy Lethargy and Finrot

Guupy42

I recently got some new guppies from PetSmart. One died of Columnaris, he had an open mouth, and the other one is currently suffering of finrot and tail clamp. It started as a bite in his tail, and after the passing of his friend, his tail started getting clamped, and he has been hanging out by the filter a lot. He still comes out to eat, and swims a little when I tap on the glass, move the filter, or do anything to stimulate him. The last time I checked, the water was okay, and the PetSmart employee said that my water looked good.

Anyway, here are some tank details. It is a 5 gallon tank with 3 adult male guppies and one Black Racer Nerite. I am currently doing a treatment of aquarium salt and stress coat. The GH might be a little low, but I am working on raising it with a cuttlebone.

I also just noticed the white part in the hole, is that a sign of infection, or has he started healing? Also, since he gets temporarily active with some stimulation, what are some ways to provide entertainment to my fish?

Thank you in advance. Here is a picture. Sorry if it is a little blurry, but he wants to stay behind the filter.20240425_191658.jpg.dccf151f56d32abe76b990d1c945cb6a.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Colu, I could not do a water test accurately, because I just finished a water change. My most recent test was on last Tuesday, and the parameters read:

0-0.5ppm Ammonia

0-20 Nitrate

0 Nitrite

75-150 Hardness

0 Chlorine

300 Alkalinity

8.4 pH

As I am writing this post, the temperature is 78°.

The PetSmart employee also tested my water on Wednsday, and she said that the water was good.

@Whitecloud09, I do have decorations and plants in my tank, but they are mostly near the bottom so my guppies don't use them too much, that is why my sick fish is hiding behind the filter.

The fin clamp has been getting worse. After doing a water change today, I added a new tablespoon of Aquarium Salt, and some Stress Coat. Could someone give me a way to help with the fin clamp and lethargy? Again, thank you for all your help.

Edited by Guupy42
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, Guupy42 said:

@Colu, I could not do a water test accurately, because I just finished a water change. My most recent test was on last Tuesday, and the parameters read:

0-0.5ppm Ammonia

0-20 Nitrate

0 Nitrite

75-150 Hardness

0 Chlorine

300 Alkalinity

8.4 pH

As I am writing this post, the temperature is 78°.

The PetSmart employee also tested my water on Wednsday, and she said that the water was good.

@Whitecloud09, I do have decorations and plants in my tank, but they are mostly near the bottom so my guppies don't use them too much, that is why my sick fish is hiding behind the filter.

The fin clamp has been getting worse. After doing a water change today, I added a new tablespoon of Aquarium Salt, and some Stress Coat. Could someone give me a way to help with the fin clamp and lethargy? Again, thank you for all your help.

To what I am reading, it seems like the paremeters change a lot, or am I wrong? Like, the nitrates for example are from 0 to 20, does it change drastically? Ph is pretty high. Guppies are sensitive to a lot different things in the water such as water hardness and so on @Guupy42.

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 4:05 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

To what I am reading, it seems like the paremeters change a lot, or am I wrong? Like, the nitrates for example are from 0 to 20, does it change drastically? Ph is pretty high. Guppies are sensitive to a lot different things in the water such as water hardness and so on @Guupy42.

What I meant by the numbers (For example, 0-20) was that the colors on my testing strips were close to one color, but slightly a little off. The 0-20 means that the nitrates are somewhere in that range. I am not sure of the exact numbers, though.

Right now, I have quarantined my fish in a small container, because I am going to try doing the method described here: https://www.aquariumnexus.com/natural-method-cure-almost-any-guppy-disease/

Edited by Guupy42
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 5:19 PM, Guupy42 said:

What I meant by the numbers (For example, 0-20) was that the colors on my testing strips were close to one color, but slightly a little off. The 0-20 means that the nitrates are somewhere in that range. I am not sure of the exact numbers, though.

Right now, I have quarantined my fish in a small container, because I am going to try doing the method described here: https://www.aquariumnexus.com/natural-method-cure-almost-any-guppy-disease/

Got it, yeah looking at that guide, looks pretty good, I would go for it @Guupy42

• Thanks 1

If you have 0.5 ammonia that could be causing the clamped fins if your using test strips it can be difficult to tell the difference between 0 and 0.5  I would get a liquid test kit for ammonia and I would test your tap water for ammonia if your seeing any ammonia I would do a 50% water change and add a double dose of prime to help detoxify any ammonia till it constantly stays at zero after treating with aquarium salt your seeing no improvement then I would do a course of maracyn just in case there's a bacterial component @Guupy42

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

Okay, thank you. I did a water change this morning, and the results I gave was the most recent water test I did. The water quality might be different now, but I still don't think I should do a water test yet. I will do one tomorrow morning, after the new water has had some time to settle. Do you want the water parameters of my main tank, or the small quarantine box that my sick fish is floating in? I will be doing small water changes in the box every day, just remove visible poop and stuff, and take out some water, so maybe testing the main tank will be better? He seems to be getting better in his quarantine container.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:08 PM, Guupy42 said:

Okay, thank you. I did a water change this morning, and the results I gave was the most recent water test I did. The water quality might be different now, but I still don't think I should do a water test yet. I will do one tomorrow morning, after the new water has had some time to settle. Do you want the water parameters of my main tank, or the small quarantine box that my sick fish is floating in? I will be doing small water changes in the box every day, just remove visible poop and stuff, and take out some water, so maybe testing the main tank will be better? He seems to be getting better in his quarantine container.

I would test every other day on the main tank and quarantine tank if your seeing any ammonia do a large water it's possible ammonia is causing the clamped fins getting this to zero might stop the clamped fins 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, my fish died overnight (He was still in his quarantine container, so it most likely didn't poison the water). Maybe there was something wrong with that batch of guppies at PetSmart, as they both had some disease, and brought out when they got stressed from shipping and their first water changes. I am going to a different pet store this time, as they have more fish, and possibly healthier ones, too. Thank you for all the help you have given me.

• Sad 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:43 AM, Guupy42 said:

Maybe there was something wrong with that batch of guppies at PetSmart

Unfortunately, that is often the case now. big box usually has the weakest genetics. in both guppies and neon tetras. better would be to find some from a smaller local store. best would be to find a local breeder. My daughter wants guppies, but we've tried and failed a couple of times from petsmart/co. Sourcing guppies right now can be a bit tricky, but finding somewhere that has success already is key. possibly dans fish? (okay, my daughter wants sailfin mollies. she's 8. so guppies it is, especially in her 15g flex tank 🤣

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 10:01 AM, Tony s said:

Unfortunately, that is often the case now. big box usually has the weakest genetics.

Yes, I agree. I am even doing a school project about inbreeding in guppies, and I found an article about it. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/livebearers-are-becoming-weaker

Anyway, the next time I go to the pet store, I will consider switching to Endlers, because I've heard that they are similar to be guppies, but are sometimes less inbred.

Edited by Guupy42
  • Like 1