150 gallon tank ideas

On 4/24/2024 at 5:12 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

In my experience, there are two types of aquarium denizens that I have to be careful about water depth, and that's bettas and African dwarf frogs.

In the wild, bettas live in the pretty shallow puddles, ponds, and rice paddies of Southeast Asia, so they're already not adapted to deep water. Add to that the long, trailing fins of domesticated varieties, and you get rather poor swimming ability. Being anabantoids (like gouramis), bettas are adapted to life in oxygen-poor waters, thanks to their labyrinth organ, which allows them to breathe air. However, the flip side is that they must get atmospheric oxygen, or they drown. Like any animal, bettas certainly appreciate some space. A cup is, of course, too small for a permanent habitat, but I would be careful about how deep a tank you put a betta in. They probably should not be in water deeper than about 12 inches, which is the depth of a 10-gallon tank, or a 20-gallon long. I would be worried about a betta in a 150-gallon tank drowning, especially if the water flow is high, since being essentially a puddle fish, they need slower flowing water.

It's a similar story with the African dwarf frog. They're fully aquatic, but they still have lungs like any frog, and still need to come up for air. And being native to the shallow streams of Central and West Africa, they need a low-flow aquarium, too. The general recommendation for them is likewise water no deeper than about 12 inches (like a 10-gal or 20-long). ADFs in a 150-gallon tank would likewise be at risk of drowning.

I have kept mine anywhere from 23cm h to 50cm h without any issues. I dont know about the height on 150g but I use AC70 on my 160 liter tank(100x40x40cmh) with a betta in it without any problem. As I mentioned, IMO, only plakat males and females are suitable for a big community tank. Speaking of it, Ive never kept any in a 150g tank, Because Ive never had a 150g before

long fins and ears are horrible in any tank size but shallow tank is a must in that case, I agree. Because they barely make it to the top now and then due to poor swimming ability.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

Ya we have already gone through that with the smaller tank that we have so she kinda gets that there is a chance the fish dont make it. As much as a 4 year old kid can at least. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 5:55 AM, AtomicSunfish said:

Oh, yes! Can’t believe I forgot to mention the true blue acara! Might be cool to have uaru, chocolate cichlid, and rainbow cichlid in there, too!

Another nice semi-aggressive, South American cichlid: the true parrot cichlid. They get big - like a foot long.

Oh that would be neat I think at this point I might be leaning toward some community of larger fish. With some smaller fish mixed in. 

Also as promised here is my water straight from the tap. No chlorine is correct as I have well water. 

20240424_173324.jpg

If you like blue there are always the traditional cardinal tetra. If your daughter is only 4 and wants to watch the fish grow up there are species that last 15, 20, 30+ years. Most of the smaller fishes will only live 4 to 14 years depending on species and care. If your daughter gets excited by babies i'd setup a 15 or 20 with guppies - the traditional baby producers. Lots of option depending on what you want to do. If you do go with clown loaches avoid cory and other small bottom dwellers. The clown loaches aren't aggressive with cory but they will 'accidently' run them over in their haste to swim around and this of course can stress the poor little cory. With nearly all the the fishes mentioned you are going to want fine substrate. HTH pool filter sand works really well and is very inexpensive also play sand (which is finer than pool fitler sand can be a good option but i can't recommend a specific brand).

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 6:14 PM, anewbie said:

If your daughter gets excited by babies i'd setup a 15 or 20 with guppies - the traditional baby producers. Lots of option depending on what you want to do.

Or platies, there are purple platies I think

I think I'm leaning more toward having fish longterm as I think that would be pretty neat to at one point hopefully ha e 10 year old fish. 

Oh now that I'll need to look into for my current tank. 

I have a planted 150g with a school of 24 Odessa barbs, bosemani rainbows, and a chocolate cichlid and a blue acara.  I highly recommend the odessa barbs for sure.  I’m so-so on the rainbows, there’s one bosemani male that is stunning, the rest are just ok, easy fish to keep though.

• Like 1

I think what you just described your tank as is what i am going to go for. That sounds like enough good size fish that i bet i could sit there for hours and just watch the tank.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 8:28 PM, Tony s said:

Actually second the parameters, but at your tap. That way we don’t recommend something you’d struggle with. 

but for me, in a tank that big, I’d have a planted tank with geophagus, diamond tetras, black phantom tetras, and lots of corys on the bottom.

I was going to say congo tetras, but I do love me some diamond tetras.

On 4/23/2024 at 8:28 PM, Tony s said:

Edited by Shrimp Doggy Dogg
Accidentally quoted twice
  • Like 1

Ohhhh those are all wonderful ideas It's exciting to get so much input on this I can't wait to show everyone what ends up becoming of this tank. 

I picked it up tonight. Came with a ton of chemicals, 2 heaters , 2 powerheads and the stand and tank top and some driftwood. It also came with 2 hob filters and 2 canister filters (I may get rid of these and just buy new canister filters as these seem to just be cheap Amazon ones) so if anyone in ct is interested in some filters feel free to contact me about it. 

20240428_203919.jpg

20240428_203910.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Those water parameters are great for a South/Central American tank. 

Discus are gorgeous, but pricey & a lot of work to keep happy. 

Some of the big, bruiser cichlids are very colorful, but limit tankmate selection somewhat.

Personally, I'd go with a 10-12 school of platinum blue or black angels & green neons with a bunch of cories & otos for clean up in a full planted scape.  

Reality: get what your daughter wants & be happy it's not horses. 👍

When she loses interest, you can do "your" tank later on. 

• Like 2

I believe that is what I am leaning to at this point as I know my daughter would love that just a ton of fish in the tank. And I would love some angels. I also wanted some electric blue arca though and can't seem to find out if they would be a good mix with these. (Or possibly keyhole chiclids) 

On 5/3/2024 at 7:27 PM, Beach Cruiser said:

Those water parameters are great for a South/Central American tank. 

Discus are gorgeous, but pricey & a lot of work to keep happy. 

Some of the big, bruiser cichlids are very colorful, but limit tankmate selection somewhat.

Personally, I'd go with a 10-12 school of platinum blue or black angels & green neons with a bunch of cories & otos for clean up in a full planted scape.  

Reality: get what your daughter wants & be happy it's not horses. 👍

When she loses interest, you can do "your" tank later on. 

The green neons would mostly likely be eaten at some point…

Maybe a bit larger tetra, like royal tetra would fit in better

• Like 1

Yes for sure i would need a larger tetra. I actually went to the aquarium near me this past weekend and they had a discus tank with i didnt know were a thing but jumbo neon tetras in it.