Filter help

My tank is a 75 gallon with two fish 1 Oscar 1 Pleco both about 2 to 3 inches no plants. Now I am using one Seachem tidal 75 I have another one but think I would rather go to a canister instead of two HOB. Trying to decide what size. I've been looking at fluvals 407,fx2 and fx4. What would you choose? Price does not matter Flow wise I think the fx6 would be overkill for a 75 gal. 407=383gph empty fx2=475gph empty fx4=700gph empty. Some say to cut theses numbers in half once full and running a couple of weeks. I would love to hear thoughts on these. How many times would you want to turn this tank over when the fish grow out. They will get a 125 or 150 with fx6 when I sell my rental house. Probably use the 75 as a QT half full.

On 4/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

My tank is a 75 gallon with two fish 1 Oscar 1 Pleco both about 2 to 3 inches no plants. Now I am using one Seachem tidal 75 I have another one but think I would rather go to a canister instead of two HOB. Trying to decide what size. I've been looking at fluvals 407,fx2 and fx4. What would you choose? Price does not matter Flow wise I think the fx6 would be overkill for a 75 gal. 407=383gph empty fx2=475gph empty fx4=700gph empty. Some say to cut theses numbers in half once full and running a couple of weeks. I would love to hear thoughts on these. How many times would you want to turn this tank over when the fish grow out. They will get a 125 or 150 with fx6 when I sell my rental house. Probably use the 75 as a QT half full.

Honestly, you don't need a HUGE canister filter for an aquarium.

I'll give you this example, a Fluval 107 canister filter can hold all the media yoru Seachem Tidal 75 contained. It would absolutely work just fine in your aquarium. Don't believe me? There are people with a large sponge filter in a 75 gallon tank and it does fine.

Filter companies want to sell you more and more filtration (funny the cost goes up per larger models).

Depending on YOUR STAND, I would probably put a Fluval 307 or perhaps a 407 in your tank.  *I* prefer the 307's over the 407's simply because the 307 isn't as tall and fits inside my stand just fine. On a 307, the bottom basket has the bio-sponge with Filter floss on top, the next two baskets are full of bio-rings.

I've run 307s from 40gallon tanks all the way to 80 gallon tanks. They work fine on them.

Edited by Dacotua

Personally I am running 2 sponge filters medium size ez sponge with the battery backup air pump from co-op I did buy a small internal filter for water polishing using floss media still that's just for when I stir everything up and want to get it clear faster.

The main reason for looking at the 407 is not the tank size as much as the fish. I love Oscars had my last one 12 years but they are pigs😃 I do good at not over feeding but a lot of times it goes right through his gills. Wife says I'm just looking for a way to spend money. Wait till I move the couch out for the 125

Thanks for all replies

Doesn't matter.

The bottom basket of a 307 and 407 are the same. You clog it, the filter will slow down.

You should be cleaning your canister filter monthly, however I've let mine go 6 months at a time in the past before cleaning it. If you over feed, you need to clean the filters more often.

Your beneficial bacteria should match the amount you feed in time anyway. (Natural Ponds do not have filters, the Beneficial Bacteria matches the bio load of the system. Your tank will do the same thing)

Edited by Dacotua

I used 2 eheim 2215 on my 110 Oscar tank I personally didn’t care about how much flow I got since water changes were frequent so debris never built up anyway 

but honestly if you are going to get a fx6 in the future why not just get it now and save the hassle 

• Like 1