Gup’s New Fishroom Build

On 6/10/2024 at 4:26 PM, Guppysnail said:

For my tanks roughly 50-60. But then I have floating breeders everywhere and brine shrimp hatching. My friend said they lost pressure around 60 drops. My room being so large if I ever want more tanks I’ll need it. I figure since it’s a build do it right the first time rather than try to add 

I would do the same thing that way you will always have plenty of air.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 1:56 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

This is looking great! Are you building in auto water change or still going to use siphon hoses to drain and refill tanks?

I already use a pump in/out system not auto though. I do not like the overflow change method.  If I had the $ I would do an auto system where each tank was controlled by valve and could be done separately. I breed some very soft water fish, some very hard and some brackish. 
Im old and retired. My hobby is supposed to consume time. 
In younger years when I was working though I would have loved to have the disposable $ to do an auto change.  

• Like 3

This is the only stand I’m having built. My friend made this. 🤗

It holds 2-20 longs and 4 -15 g or 6-15 g or any combo of them I will need for different tanks. 

I was going to do a growout rack but decided it’s much easier on me to do a grow out below each of my display /breeding tanks.  

I spend a lot of time with baby tanks and when netting 100 baby fish out of a tank to sell I get to sit on the floor to do it.  When collecting eggs, netting fry from a parent tank or relocating egg scatterers to pollute a breeder tank with eggs I just drop them into the tank right below. 

FD634FFC-7B53-4E7E-818C-E308424DAE17.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 6/24/2024 at 8:34 AM, Guppysnail said:

This is the only stand I’m having built. My friend made this. 🤗

It holds 2-20 longs and 4 -15 g or 6-15 g or any combo of them I will need for different tanks. 

I was going to do a growout rack but decided it’s much easier on me to do a grow out below each of my display /breeding tanks.  

I spend a lot of time with baby tanks and when netting 100 baby fish out of a tank to sell I get to sit on the floor to do it.  When collecting eggs, netting fry from a parent tank or relocating egg scatterers to pollute a breeder tank with eggs I just drop them into the tank right below. 

FD634FFC-7B53-4E7E-818C-E308424DAE17.jpeg

Omg that is a freaking crime scene!!! 😱

• Haha 4

Let the games begin. 

Im starting with the tank I dread disturbing the most. Mom n dads tank.  It’s a perfect tank to me. Melini and Pygmy cory, CPD, Breeding pair of pleco. All always active and breeding. I hate disturbing their world.  

One thing of note for anyone doing an air loop. The pvc glue fumes built up really heavy. When I started drilling they wafted out thick.  I allowed the pumps to run for 30 minutes yesterday and 30 minutes today with 2 holes drilled I did not insert valves in yet. This cleared it out pretty good. The fumes were intense enough I could smell them upstairs.  

A91989B1-B0D0-4956-AB21-92A7D7D70F8E.jpeg

A92DF325-A8BC-4DBA-9064-58CE6C7B91EB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 7/2/2024 at 12:59 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

25!!!!! 🐌

Do you remove all substrate for each one?

The original idea was I bought a strong board to drain the tanks to the substrate to sit on and carry them down. 
This weekend my 60 year old husband decided it was a good idea to use his old A frame ladder INSTEAD of the $300 little giant safety ladder I bought him to replace all the boards on our second story deck.

This already wobbly A frame ladder footing was uneven dirt AND the pile of old tank gravel I had lining my hosta bed.  

Ladder lost footing while he was using a crow bar on the top step to yank up boards whose screw heads had rusted out. 

He had an awful good time sailing through the air to land on said rickety old ladder.  Luckily he only banged himself up real bad and injured his back but no broken bones. 

So the plan now is round robin to an empty tank and me bucket brigading all the substrate down and redoing every single tank. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Cord management comes after I get the other canister on. This one is temporary from their 20L. Long way to go on this one but it’s up.F10C44E5-9F7D-4BBC-99D4-52479F0B1FA1.jpeg.84f657e8ee451897e7c901ea6b27ee6c.jpeg

This one laid eggs while I was transferring stuff to the new tank. I netted her and her rock of eggs to a bin and carried her down first. She went right on sitting eggs like nothing happened 

677C21BA-9F5C-40CA-895D-78038C99FE8C.jpeg

• Love 6

On 7/6/2024 at 10:26 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

image.jpeg.c67167c7c726bc22bb79fc02ad59597e.jpeg

What type of adhesive or hardware are you using to attach your power strip to the wall?

I use this heavy duty clear stuff. I make sure I cover the back just past the edges so there is no wiggle. The trick is to make sure the tape is flat and even cover all the surface and hang. Let set for 30 minutes before adding the weight if plugs. 

4093CEBB-52D4-41F8-A635-4DCE8338DB9B.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 6:21 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

by the way, reusable zip ties are a game changer for cords. You can press the tab and get them off when you want to.

Yuppers. That’s what I’m using. 😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/7/2024 at 5:21 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

by the way, reusable zip ties are a game changer for cords. You can press the tab and get them off when you want to.

I’ve had trouble with the metal tab inside rusting around the tanks in the far past (haven’t used any recently).  I switched and now use Velcro style cable wraps now plus I can color code them.  Yellow for lights, blue for air pumps, red for heaters, green for filters.  I use up the black ones and white ones that come in the multi-color kits for non-fish tank stuff.  These are the last ones I ordered but I see these aren’t available right now.  You can pick anything similar or all one color if that suits you better.  I can attach them to the cords, then wrap them around the looped cord once adjusted for length.  I also use them to mark the cords when plugged into a strip or UPS battery so I know exactly what I’m unplugging if I do a big water change and drop the level too far to leave the heater plugged in, or HOB running, need to remove the prefilter on the HOB, etc.  They stay with the cord until no longer needed like if a filter or air pump gives out and gets tossed.  I need to do some serious cord management on my rack(s) eventually with better power strip placement.  My individual tank’s cords are better managed than my rack.  My rack is a mess with 12 tanks on it.  Even though many of those tanks don’t have heaters currently running, over half of them have HOB’s.  Going to eventually change that if I ever get the Offish put together.

https://www.amazon.com/HUINF-Fastening-Adjustable-Loop,Multi-Function-Management/dp/B08G8C7V81?pd_rd_w=RSE8C&content-id=amzn1.sym.0c0e3277-1675-489c-a566-ea075b32087a&pf_rd_p=0c0e3277-1675-489c-a566-ea075b32087a&pf_rd_r=VRQPHYC3K0EQJ8SX9CVK&pd_rd_wg=spOra&pd_rd_r=59829625-0a03-4058-a591-ecb0623e9864&pd_rd_i=B08G8C7V81&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_d_rpt_ba_s_2_t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1