Im definatley new to this…

I only have a small 10 gallon tank. I have a great Anubia and it’s growing like mad , tonight I was looking really closely and noticed some stuff on the edges of the leaves that looks like nothing other than fur. Does anyone know what this is and how do I get rid of it ? 

• Like 1

Picture would help, but sounds like a variant of algae.  Here are a couple pictures from my tanks  the first one is a sword plant with some black beard algae (BBA)  and some java fern that had recently been treated with reverse respiration. Basically submerging the plant in carbonated water, and leaving in the them in a dark room overnight.  Look here for more information on how to do it: 

Or ask @Guppysnail  she’s an expert.  

IMG_0092.jpeg.915d1ef14f12f62688d3ea1a0ff82ec6.jpegIMG_0078.jpeg.b1fbbb44103921c5a2559392076262e5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/5/2024 at 3:26 AM, 3c30 said:

I only have a small 10 gallon tank. I have a great Anubia and it’s growing like mad , tonight I was looking really closely and noticed some stuff on the edges of the leaves that looks like nothing other than fur. Does anyone know what this is and how do I get rid of it ? 

Alternatively get some Amano shrimp if it’s long and stringy (hair algae). 

On 4/4/2024 at 10:26 PM, 3c30 said:

some stuff on the edges of the leaves that looks like nothing other than fur. Does anyone know what this is and how do I get rid of it ? 

First question, sounds like Algae of some sort.

Second question?  Yeah thats the 65,000 question…. How to get rid of it…. The most reliable way to get rid of it is to take all of the water out of the tank…. but fish dont do well with that…

Lots of ideas and advice all over the internet on controlling algae…

The most effective advice I have found is that found on the 2 hr aquarist web site…

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/algae-control

• Like 2