Brown Spots On Top Of Water

Anybody seen this before?  29gal over 5 years old. Well planted and stable. Canister filter. Fish all happy. Sticks to the glass. Doesn't move so I don't think it's some type of microfauna. I'm familiar with the film you can get with still water, but I have alot of surface agitation as my outlet is pointed at the surface. Let me know if you have questions.

20240401_172240.jpg.2cec0a9489139028895bfb045da55676.jpg20240401_172302.jpg.282d24ff7c5f737b1535d1a8ec192565.jpg20240401_172312.jpg.cb367aba7b1d9b45efb7a4330a8da548.jpg

On 4/1/2024 at 5:29 PM, JaredL said:

Really need to get that microscope I'm always saying I'll buy. 

I always appreciate when the fishkeeping hobby gives me an excuse to buy some new toy

• Haha 3

On 4/1/2024 at 8:29 PM, JaredL said:

Seems like way too much to be insect eggs to me

Probably correct. Add to that, if was insect eggs, the fish would be gorging themselves. Eggs are delicious and nutritious 

• Like 2

Question, do you use anything like purigen in your canister? I had a bag start leaking on me. Did not notice the top as mine has a hood. But the sides collected fine granular particles. Still cleaning them up 

• Thanks 1

@Tony s

I don't use any purigen. Just coarse sponge and fine filter material, with a coarse pre-filter on intake. But that does make me think that possibly my filter is clogged and maybe just bypassing the filter media now.

• Like 1

If cleaning the filter doesn’t work. You could use a clean paper towel and lay it on the surface. That would remove it temporarily. If it comes back. I’d look for something degrading. Possibly even the filter itself. Or a piece of decor 

another question. When you smush it between your fingers. Does it stay hard or smear into your fingers. If it stays hard. May be decor. Doesn’t sound organic at that point 

• Like 1

@Tony s

It squishes. No artificial decor in the tank, just an old piece of driftwood. Did a 20% water change today to see if it chanhes. If not I might reluctantly dig into the canister filter and see what I find.

@Biotope Biologist

Thanks. I'm leaning towards a type of algae or organic also as it's only on the surface. Everybody seems happy and healthy so I may just wait and see. Curious to see how the mystery progresses.