Help w insect ID

The only time I've had these show up is when I either brought in plants from my ponds and introduced them to my indoor tanks or if I recently purchased plants from a Florida nursery that houses the plants outdoors. How you done either one of these recently?

No pond and my plants come from CA and KY. But that's not to say it didn't come in on them...when you get them is it like an explosion in population or is it easy to keep on top of and eliminate? 

the long thin area behind the legs looks like the shell some caddisflies make for protection. I say make, but what they actually do is glue bits of shell and rock together to form a shield covering most of their bodies

bit far away and blurry for good id though

They would live in shallow areas in rivers and streams. they prefer running water. if you have anything close.caddisfly_larva.jpg?itok=vWmwpOST

01531458.jpg

Edited by Tony s
much cleaner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

for comparison 2 of the bigger genuses of dragonfly. basically the same size and shape as the adult with no wings. they don't really add size when molting

dragonfly nymph genus gomphidae  

OIP.3zaaMC_Bqh19AYmFKA9RCwHaE8?w=282&h=1OIP.LuZtvvX-B_LhjfplXSC32gHaGE?w=230&h=1

genus libellulidae nymph

OIP.CfOPFUH8u64rDNsg2C8kTAHaFb?w=262&h=1OIP.PnNeNEow3Y6mr8NuJdRSfgHaFy?w=249&h=1

• Like 1

Yup thats a caddisfly larvae. They are ubiquitous in NA and construct their cocoons out of different available materials using saliva and maybe even a spinerette style thing (think spiders)? 

They are harmless detritivores that start emerging this time of year as a larvae. Takes anywhere from a few months to a year to pupate and turn into a caddisfly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2024 at 9:06 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Yup thats a caddisfly larvae. They are ubiquitous in NA and construct their cocoons out of different available materials using saliva and maybe even a spinerette style thing (think spiders)? 

They are harmless detritivores that start emerging this time of year as a larvae. Takes anywhere from a few months to a year to pupate and turn into a caddisfly.

Yup it's definitely that. I just watched another one swim over to my  hornwort. So am I gonna have these things flying around my house when they turn into a caddisfly?!

On 4/3/2024 at 7:42 PM, cryptkeeper said:

gonna have these things flying around my house when they turn into a caddisfly?!

Yes. But they’re rather small. Kinda like a midsize moth. 

With long antennae 

And they won’t stay around long either 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool. 😎  I'm in the process of setting up a small tank of local native species and Caddisfly nymphs are on my list of things under stream stones to put in the tank. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 7:59 AM, Matt B said:

Cool. 😎  I'm in the process of setting up a small tank of local native species and Caddisfly nymphs are on my list of things under stream stones to put in the tank. :classic_biggrin:

I would gladly send you mine! 🤣

• Haha 2

On 4/6/2024 at 7:59 AM, Matt B said:

I'm in the process of setting up a small tank of local native species and Caddisfly nymphs are on my list of things under stream stones to put in the tank

They’re relatively easy to collect. We used some screen wire between 2 small poasts. Then went into the riffle areas of a nearby river. And started kicking up stones. Not sure how long they’d last in captivity. They need a lot of moving water. You can also use the screen method to find other things near the shore, if you have a bit of a drop off. We found a huge megaloptera larvae. Which was very cool. 

• Like 1

As a kid I kept batches of tadpoles in large tubs full of water. I would just pop a couple sponge filters in and bring them fresh spring water for water changes. You can find pretty much any of these larvae in vernal pools as well so they aren’t super fussy about water quality. But for whatever reason the tadpoles did not like tap water. 

Anyway it takes dragonfly nymphs, caddisfly larvae, and even megaloptera nymphs several hours on a rock or grass to pupate and have wings to fly on, so it’s pretty easy to catch them and throw them outside before they fly off! 

• Like 3

@Biotope Biologist  My rubbermaid Tadpole tub, next to the Wine barrel pond!  I just set it up early spring with some rocks, water Hyacinths and a piece of driftwood...the frogs do all the work and. Presto!  Tadpoles! :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

We did have a Dragon Fly emerge last year in the pond!  So cool to watch! 😎

@Tony s That looks like a great Brook Trout snack! :classic_laugh:

20240406_105311.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1