Windelov Java Fern being weird

Hey I’m pretty new and just looking for a little help/wanting to know if I should be worried I got a thing of Windelov Java Fern and they have been growing great except for one witch seems to be growing roots/baby’s from its leafs and its main root ball isn’t growing any roots of its own  any help is greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

I love this fern. It’s very hardy, and it looks like yours is reproducing. Windeluv typically doesn’t like having its rhizome buried in the substrate, so it could have some rot. These plants frequently threw off baby plants if they are challenged like that.  A broken leaf can reproduce.  

if you remove the tip of one of the leaves with roots, you can super glue it to a rock.  Next thing you know, new plant for your tank.  

• Like 1

I agree with what @Ken Burke said about not burying the rhizomes.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:30 PM, Ken Burke said:

Windeluv typically doesn’t like having its rhizome buried in the substrate, so it could have some rot.

I have owned a java fern before (I don't think it was a Windelov variety, but still a java fern), and I unfortunately didn't know this, so it rotted, and died. Mine also experienced something similar to your plant, the roots went up the leaves turning them brown, and there were lots of plantlets growing. I'm not sure what the "normal growth" is supposed to look like, but tying or gluing the rhizomes to a rock or some other decoration sounds like a good idea to me. My Anubias Congensis (another no-burying plant) is tied to an unused decoration, and it's growing pretty well. If you have any rocks or unused decoration, that's something you could try.

By the way, welcome to the forum!