Mystery Snail not active

The first time I bought Mystery Snails they were extremely active, constantly running all over the tank all day, floating, throwing themselves from the surface, finding food..

The new ones I got a a bit smaller than the huge ones I used to have, and not active at all, and I only see them at night!

Em I doing something wrong or are they just young?

On 3/31/2024 at 7:08 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

It usually takes them a minute to adjust to your tank. How long have you had them? Usually they don’t feel very safe at first. I’m not sure about how age affects them, but I’d give them time to get used to their new place!

I had them for two weeks but ill wait and try to feed them more as my shrimp always takes their food

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 7:51 PM, faysalals1 said:

Em I doing something wrong or are they just young?

Probably not you. And have hatched a brood before. They’re usually active at all stages.. babies move around just like adults. Now parameters being off will affect them. Especially ph gh kh. Snails like it a bit on the harder side with 7+ ph. Makes it easier to make new shells. 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:50 PM, Tony s said:

Probably not you. And have hatched a brood before. They’re usually active at all stages.. babies move around just like adults. Now parameters being off will affect them. Especially ph gh kh. Snails like it a bit on the harder side with 7+ ph. Makes it easier to make new shells. 

On 3/31/2024 at 10:18 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

That’s interesting that you’ve had them for a while and they still aren’t acting normal. I agree with @Tony s. I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong, but I don’t have a ton of experience with mystery’s so I’m not much help😂

They are moving, but they are acting more like a nerite snail, very slow and hiding.

My water parameters are good, including ph, but I do have hard water, which I dont know how to change for my Betta. But you said its good for my snails so that shouldnt be an issue!

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 11:27 PM, Stef said:

Is your betta picking on them? If harassed or their antenna are being nibbled on they will not want to come out. 

No hes not 

My Betta is very peaceful he lives with colorful guppies!

Edited by faysalals1

Do Black Racer Nerites also behave like this? When I first got mine, he was very active, eating algae and exploring the tank every day, and had a weird sleep cycle. Soon, after he settled down, the snail started hiding in this log decoration sometimes, and other times, he would bury himself.  However, at night, the snail is just as active as ever. Basically, he would start having a nocturnal sleep cycle. Could this be normal for all nocturnal snails?

Also, my guppies sometimes peck at my snail's shell out of curiosity, so if your snail is stressed that could be a cause. Keep an eye on the guppies.

Edited by Guupy42

On 4/1/2024 at 7:28 AM, Guupy42 said:

Do Black Racer Nerites also behave like this? When I first got mine, he was very active, eating algae and exploring the tank every day, and had a weird sleep cycle. Soon, after he settled down, the snail started hiding in this log decoration sometimes, and other times, he would bury himself.  However, at night, the snail is just as active as ever. Basically, he would start having a nocturnal sleep cycle. Could this be normal for all nocturnal snails?

Also, my guppies sometimes peck at my snail's shell out of curiosity, so if your snail is stressed that could be a cause. Keep an eye on the guppies.

Thats all normal behavior for Nerite snails, they are active, but not compared to Mystery Snails. So everything you described about your Nerite Snails is normal. And yes snails and shrimp will always be active at night when there is no lights, and hiding during the day.

it is likely that something bothers them. It can be fish or parameters/water issues. Old age also slows them down, but in your case, you said they are small, so probably young enough. Young means more active. Last option is, tank being too cold.

I used to have one of my snails, Morty, in another tank of mine, and once I moved him to my panda guppy tank, he suddenly became inactive. He was quite old by then, so I always thought it's the age. After a week or so, I saw him moving around and understood why he was inactive. I have seen baby guppies biting the flesh of him when he opens up.

So we don't have a chance to sit in front of a tank and watch it nonstop. But all I can say is, it is a situational occasion for everyone, and no fish guaranteed to be snail safe. So if one wants to keep a mystery snail, they should observe the situation better. If you ask here if guppies are snail safe, Im not sure if anyone else would come up with a no. Well, here is my experience with it.

Snails are indeed active at night. But being very inactive during daytime and such moving you mention, I bet your fish bother them and scare them.

Edited by Lennie