Gup is doing guppies…again

Several folks at my club a few months ago  got

Albino yellow metal lace guppies (that’s a mouthful)

imported from Vietnam.  No one had luck with them.

My friend Jen S from Smallworld Aquatics asked if I would give them a go if she imported more.  

I said sure so she had her importer bring more over. Of course there was a fed ex delay 😣

They arrived today. Ammonia was high 8455FF8B-9BB6-4472-A8C9-BF26CFF10871.jpeg.48dda7ef8b696297a30ee3f656561a33.jpegbut ph was low. FF3B7558-9490-40D7-8E07-1C992052F834.jpeg.191abc0b470001c82bc8c977b2fb9321.jpeg

I had lowered tank temp to 76  because I knew they would be cooler.  They floated to temp them dumped in the net and in the tank they went. I’ll raise the temp tomorrow to 78  I fed some live bbs and all ate greedily. 

I’ve got them in with reef salt.  My understanding is most imported guppies were raised with some measure of sea water.  @Colu @Odd Duck any thoughts?  Maybe recommend an amount of reef salt to add? Right now it’s a small pinch in my insanely hard water.  I was going to add a small pinch of epsom for the extra magnesium but figured I would ask first. 

NO LAUGHING AT FAKE PLANTS 🤣

I knew I was using reef salt so only used some moss which should tolerate the salt and some hornwort for cover which should fall apart on me 😝 They needed structure to feel safe so @dasaltemelosguy was kind enough to send me some he had in storage  

Wish me luck  

• Like 2
  • Love 3

They look great, and appear to be settling in well. Only suggestion might be a solid (non-transparent) divider, to remove the stress of showing and mating and so forth. Eg males on one side and females on another. given the size of those females (length), they're sure to have bred already, unless they were kept apart from males - which is unlikely since 2 are already part way preggers. 

Another suggestion (once they're well settled in) might be to go with two trios, instead of 2+4. Sort of insurance, in case something happens. Once you have the next generation of babies, less of an issue (assuming they're in separate growout). 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 3:57 PM, TOtrees said:

might be to go with two trios

I do have a divider if needed. Two trios were shipped. Intention was two tanks.  I am overrun with other fish babies right now so both trios went into a 15. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

Several folks at my club a few months ago  got

Albino yellow metal lace guppies (that’s a mouthful)

imported from Vietnam.  No one had luck with them.

My friend Jen S from Smallworld Aquatics asked if I would give them a go if she imported more.  

I said sure so she had her importer bring more over. Of course there was a fed ex delay 😣

They arrived today. Ammonia was high 8455FF8B-9BB6-4472-A8C9-BF26CFF10871.jpeg.48dda7ef8b696297a30ee3f656561a33.jpegbut ph was low. FF3B7558-9490-40D7-8E07-1C992052F834.jpeg.191abc0b470001c82bc8c977b2fb9321.jpeg

I had lowered tank temp to 76  because I knew they would be cooler.  They floated to temp them dumped in the net and in the tank they went. I’ll raise the temp tomorrow to 78  I fed some live bbs and all ate greedily. 

I’ve got them in with reef salt.  My understanding is most imported guppies were raised with some measure of sea water.  @Colu @Odd Duck any thoughts?  Maybe recommend an amount of reef salt to add? Right now it’s a small pinch in my insanely hard water.  I was going to add a small pinch of epsom for the extra magnesium but figured I would ask first. 

NO LAUGHING AT FAKE PLANTS 🤣

I knew I was using reef salt so only used some moss which should tolerate the salt and some hornwort for cover which should fall apart on me 😝 They needed structure to feel safe so @dasaltemelosguy was kind enough to send me some he had in storage  

Wish me luck  

Add snails.

And name this tank "Guppy-snail" 😄

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 3/27/2024 at 2:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’ve got them in with reef salt.  My understanding is most imported guppies were raised with some measure of sea water.  @Colu @Odd Duck any thoughts?  Maybe recommend an amount of reef salt to add? Right now it’s a small pinch in my insanely hard water.

Smart to do some salt to start but with hard water you can probably gradually water change out the salt and they should be fine.  I have no idea if overseas they use some seawater but guppies do like hard water and never seem to mind some salt.

Gorgeous fish, for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well this was fast even for my tanks. One girl has dropped at least 3 fry 🤣

I’m rescuing them as I find them but the adults do not seem interested in eating them. so in the future once I have the line established I may not need to net the fry. 

• Love 3

Depending on how long they were exposed to that level of ammonia you would want to add salt to help with ammonia poisoning you would need to use 1 table spoon for 1 gallon I would monitor and only  up the salt to 1 table spoon for 1 gallon if your seeing signs  of ammonia burn such as black patches on the body or fins redding of the gills @Guppysnail

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1