Ammonia spike HELP!

I checked it yesterday, 2.0 ppm ammonia. I have NO clue why or how. did a 30% water change added prime after, tested this morning, 1.0 ppm, how are the fish alive Is what I was thinking but they are just fine. Do I do another water change again? Should I buy a bacteria starter or something like that? I have dr Tim’s one and only but it is like 2 months old, should I use it? Thanks in advance. Plz help. Btw the master test kit book got wet so it looks super grubby.

97412A18-ADF3-4DCD-9384-7229D7B8651C.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09

Yes. Water change again. Up to 50 %. Add prime after. Adding more bacteria won’t hurt. Even at 2 months old. 

I’ve used the test book from google before. Having misplaced the original 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:21 AM, Tony s said:

Yes. Water change again. Up to 50 %. Add prime after. Adding more bacteria won’t hurt. Even at 2 months old. 

I’ve used the test book from google before. Having misplaced the original 

Ok thanks for the super quick response! I will do like a 50% and add prime + bacteria!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

I checked it yesterday, 2.0 ppm ammonia. I have NO clue why or how. did a 30% water change added prime after, tested this morning, 1.0 ppm, how are the fish alive Is what I was thinking but they are just fine. Do I do another water change again? Should I buy a bacteria starter or something like that? I have dr Tim’s one and only but it is like 2 months old, should I use it? Thanks in advance. Plz help. Btw the master test kit book got wet so it looks super grubby.

97412A18-ADF3-4DCD-9384-7229D7B8651C.jpeg

Maybe a silly question, but how old is the test kit, and are you sure you did it right? You should still do the water changes as described above, but reagents do expire, so it could be a false reading.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2024 at 10:28 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Maybe a silly question, but how old is the test kit, and are you sure you did it right? You should still do the water changes as described above, but reagents do expire, so it could be a false reading.

I have had it for like 2-3 months, it looks old, around the cap it’s different colors. But I know I did it right as described @Rube_Goldfish, but I will check it again thanks 

Doing water change now……

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 2

Probably not the cartridge. That’s where a lot of the bacteria live. You could wash it out a couple more times before changing it. Just take it to the sink and clean it. The bacteria will be fine 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 11:05 AM, Tony s said:

Probably not the cartridge. That’s where a lot of the bacteria live. You could wash it out a couple more times before changing it. Just take it to the sink and clean it. The bacteria will be fine 

Thanks, just finished the change, I added some more drtims one and only and prime, thank you for the help, will test in a couple of hours and hopefully it will be lower 🙏

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 12:26 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Tony s, I did a water change and everything, just checked and now it’s .50 ppm. So….wait right? Then recheck tomorrow. Might need to do another one again tomorrow.

If this was me, I’d do another water change. I would also do 50% changes daily until no ammonia or nitrite are present. 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 2:26 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

now it’s .50 ppm. So….wait right

If you added a small amount of prime you can wait until tomorrow. But definitely a 50% change again tomorrow 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 6:28 PM, Tony s said:

If you added a small amount of prime you can wait until tomorrow. But definitely a 50% change again tomorrow 

I got worried and did one more 25% change today 😅. I would not be able to do the change for a long time tomorrow so did one quick one tonight @Tony s, I guess that is fine right?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 1:37 AM, Tony s said:

It’s really good. You can do multiple changes if the temperature is close 

Just check it when you can tomorrow 

Yeah I match the temp of the sink water with the water in aquarium with a thermometer

• Like 1

Also @Tony s, I saw this online, is this true? Should I replace half of the old water or no? Or am I reading this wrong lol. 

Can you do multiple water changes in a day?

It is possible to do too many water changes in an aquarium. The maximum frequency of water changes should be once per day. If you choose to perform daily water changes, be sure to only replace half of the tank's water to avoid disturbing the tank's biological balance and stressing your fish.

I think I usually just do 1. But I wouldn’t worry about it. But you need to dechlorinate for all changes 

one 50-75% and prime should take care of it. And testing again the next day 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:17 PM, Tony s said:

I think I usually just do 1. But I wouldn’t worry about it. But you need to dechlorinate for all changes 

one 50-75% and prime should take care of it. And testing again the next day 

Thanks so I guess I will that 50% today. Thanks again @Tony s. Do it today correct?

Do you maintain a lower pH?  That might have made the ammonia less toxic (you might also have hardy fish species).

Definitely keep up with the water changes and the Prime (although, I think it's best to assume that Prime doesn't work, while still using it).

At this point, I wonder if we can delve into what might have happened.  How long has the tank been running?  Were there any water changes or anything else different that might have happened (introduction of new fish, for example)?

• Like 3

On 3/25/2024 at 4:52 AM, reefhugger said:

I had an ammonia spike caused by a fish that had died

I don’t believe he’s lost anything. To my knowledge he’s got 6 wcmm in a 10.. I’m very sure he’d notice.

• Like 1