What background plants are fluffy and dense cover?

On 3/21/2024 at 1:36 PM, clownbaby said:

I am looking for background plants for my 30 gallon tank, ideally they'd be high-light (about ten hours), no CO2, and good for shy fish to hide in.

Any recommendations? 

I have no experience with it, but I know a lot of people use guppy grass or hornwort for those purposes.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:49 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I hear hornwort is good for coverage

hornwort is great for coverage. and excellent at removing nitrates. it is a floater though. a very good one. I use it in all my tanks. when it gets too overgrown, just rip off a small bit and start again. makes perfect cover for small fry

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, JoeQ said:

Green CABOMBA is another option.

41W0gL50akL.jpg

NO WAY?! REALLY??? This has been my favorite plant for so long!!! I had just heard it needs CO2... is this not the case?? Because if I can have Cabomba I WILL!!!!! 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:09 PM, JoeQ said:

Im currently big on Green Myrio, big, fluffy and beginner friendly

20240321_170901.jpg

I LOVE YOUR FISH BY THE WAY @JoeQ !!!!! So cute and expressive, I can't help myself !!! XD

Screenshot2024-03-229_05_48AM.png.587a6da2c613a8e5b7faf4f256b08029.png

Edited by clownbaby
spelling

On 3/22/2024 at 12:04 PM, clownbaby said:

NO WAY?! REALLY??? This has been my favorite plant for so long!!! I had just heard it needs CO2... is this not the case?? Because if I can have Cabomba I WILL!!!!!

That isn’t a picture from my tank,  just one from a quick Google search. I also do not think cabomba is a hard plant to grow requiring co2. The issue maybe finding a converted specimen since many states classify cabomba as an invasive species and wont ship to certain states.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 9:28 AM, JoeQ said:

That isn’t a picture from my tank,  just one from a quick Google search. I also do not think cabomba is a hard plant to grow requiring co2. The issue maybe finding a converted specimen since many states classify cabomba as an invasive species and wont ship to certain states.

@JoeQ

YOU'RE RIGHT 🥲😭😫 it is totally illegal in my state. I am glad they take action to limit invasives but also it gets so frustrating at times considering there are aquarists who love the environment (like me) who would never introduce a plant into a non-native area... especially not into a wetland. Ratcicles! Welp, no cabomba for me xD !!

Green myrio is also illegal in my state... Hornwort is not, and it looks pretty similar, so I think I will go for that. Thank you for the advice though!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:31 PM, clownbaby said:

@JoeQ

YOU'RE RIGHT 🥲😭😫 it is totally illegal in my state. I am glad they take action to limit invasives but also it gets so frustrating at times considering there are aquarists who love the environment (like me) who would never introduce a plant into a non-native area... especially not into a wetland. Ratcicles! Welp, no cabomba for me xD !!

Green myrio is also illegal in my state... Hornwort is not, and it looks pretty similar, so I think I will go for that. Thank you for the advice though!

Yep,hornwort seems very popular, I wish AC had it, do you shop from aquarium coop @clownbaby? If not, they have some pretty awesome plants there!

On 3/22/2024 at 7:04 PM, clownbaby said:

@Whitecloud09

Sadly I haven't bought anything yet! Their in-person store is a few hours away and I really want to go visit this summer and take a weekend trip up to that area. I think now I might order some pogostemon stellatus octopus because I really like the look of it as it was recommended to me!

Lucky is all I can say @clownbaby! I live on the OPPOSITE SIDE of the USA lol!! Yep that plant is super thick I have read! Good luck!👍🏻 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:31 PM, clownbaby said:

considering there are aquarists who love the environment (like me) who would never introduce a plant into a non-native area...

And yet there are a lot of aquarists not like you. and a lot of other pet owners. Who don’t take responsibility and do. So they can’t take the chance. 

• Like 1

@Tony s

Yep... I just watched this. Plecos (the big boys) are some of my favorite fish, they're adorable to me, and hearing they're now invasive sucks... pun not intended. It's a massive disappointment that people release animals. My hope is that they just don't know any better... even then, the ecosystem suffers. I live on the opposite end of the country (the Pacific Northwest) but I would love to see the Florida Everglades. Such an amazing and biodiverse wetland ecosystem, now terribly infested with countless invasive plants & animals. Giant African Land snails have been my dream pet for over three years... but they're invasive here in the US. I hope they can eradicate them and allow responsible owners to keep them eventually... same with all invasives.

I am happy to see more campaigns up and running to educate pet owners about the true dangers of releasing even one fish or plant. Hopefully within the next few years it will be common knowledge. People have good intentions and end up destroying an ecosystem - let's keep up the education to prevent this, eventually. 

That is why I feel so conflicted on them banning sales: on one hand, they're stopping the problem from becoming worse, on the other hand... I really want cabomba!!! 😅😭 Of course I will wait patiently and continue to rip invasives out of my local ponds... maybe one day!!

P.S. thank you for talking about this. That is the first step to educating people! I appreciate the video link a bit too! You're awesome. The world thanks you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1