White line problem with Neocaridinas, plus confusion about RO water?

On 3/23/2024 at 12:44 PM, Matt B said:

@Cinnebuns. Ok, I haven't had that problem and was wondering what the concern was.   Thanks :classic_biggrin:

It greatly depends on the shrimp and the gh level. If your gh is too low then its fine but OP's GH isn't that low. It also depends on what gh the shrimp were raised in. So it's all situational. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help! It seems general consensus is that my GH is good for now. I'm planning to stop by the LFS tomorrow and ask my questions, and while I'm at it I'll try and ascertain where they're getting their shrimp/what parameters they are born in. If it's much higher than what I've got then I may add some additional minerals in slowly.

I have to say though, in the last few days since I first posted they are doing well in my tank, and I have noticed a few fresh molts laying around with nothing having died, so they probably molted from stress but at least they were able to do so successfully. Thanks to all who commented and helped keep me from doing something drastic 🙏💗

I also found this video which explains the white line thing (with pictures) in relation to GH if anyone else wants to watch/share it. He doesn't really talk about matching parameters with what they were raised in, but otherwise quite helpful 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Janel R said:

have to say though, in the last few days since I first posted they are doing well in my tank, and I have noticed a few fresh molts laying around with nothing having died, so they probably molted from stress but at least they were able to do so successfully. Thanks to all who commented and helped keep me from doing something drastic 🙏💗

It is common to lose a lot of your first group when starting a colony. That's maybe what this is. Basically you just hope enough survive and have babies. Then the babies are born in your water and will thrive. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, Cinnebuns said:

OP's GH is fine for shrimp and shouldn't need more calcium. 

Unless the minerals in his water exclude enough calcium.  I would add a wondershell.  

Also you really only need to get one female to live to reproduce.  You'll replace all your shrimp in one go, and they'll have been raised in your water. 

Started my tank at the beginning of the year. I have 7ph, off the scale GH, and around 100 KH. I run no heater, and it probably swings between 68 and 74 from day to day.  Everyone is happy and I have dozens of shrimplets running around. I probably lost about 5 or 6 of the 15 I started with for whatever reason.  

If anything leave your tank alone. It's a planted tank, and I let algae grow so there is always grazing and I feed them a few pellets every few days.  In 3 months, I've done 1 water change for 1 gallon in a 10 gallon tank. If you just have shrimp their bioload is going to be ridiculously small and they'll probably be more stressed out by a water change than if you leave them alone.