Why Neon Tetras die so easily???

I "Used" to have a 35g tank with 7 Kuhli Loach, 8 Harlequins, 1 Male Dwarf Gourami, and 10 Neons

All fine until 3 months later all the neons started to died

The water PH is 6,5

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

But for some reason others are still alive until i give the tank to my neighbor

I answered this before neon's guppies and some other species have been farm bred so heavily that they are fragile and die super easily.  Some people on here are trying to fix it with the guppies but we need more to get on board.  Go get yourself a tank rack and start breeding neon's create your own strain

Not sure if you can create your own strain of neon tetra although anything is possible. Neon tetras have had the quality be out of them it seems. If I were to buy neons or cardinals, I’d only buy them at Dans fish. He has the best quality fish especially neons, cardinals, and livebearers. 

On 3/15/2024 at 6:53 AM, mynameisnobody said:

If I were to buy neons or cardinals, I’d only buy them at Dans fish. He has the best quality fish especially neons, cardinals, and livebearers. 

If you can find wild caught neons. They should be fine. They should have good genes still. But you’d need certified wild caught and then start breeding them. Alternatively you could buy twice as many as you want and hope enough survive. If they make it past 2-4 months. They should be fine 

If you’re ever treating/quarantining neons, in my experience, they don’t take medications very well, specifically paracleanse. But in my experience, they didn’t get harmed using the preventative treatment (including maracyn and ich-x.) But if you’re going to use paracleanse according to the box’s instructions, just be cautious to not over-dose as it could easily kill them within a day or two in my experience. @Setiawan

• Like 1

My opinion : Its all about the quality of the fish supplier to your local fish store.

I have a Cardinal tank and a Neon Tank. Sometimes when I buy 10 of these fish, I'll put them in the tank and over the next 2-3 days I will lose 1-2 fish on each day. None of the existing ones die. Sometimes I'll buy some of these fish and lose absolutely none. I've kept fish for many many many years. My gut tells me that the transport of the fish from the farm, to the fish store, the transfer from the shipping to the fish store tank, then the transport from the fish store to your tank puts a lot of stress on the fish. Some poorer quality fish can't stand this stress and simply die. Higher quality fish can handle the stress and can handle the stress.

Best defense against this. Simply ask the fish store, when did you get this batch of fish? If they say less than 3-4 days, you may want to consider waiting a week before buying any from that batch.

Again this is just my theory and experience.

On 3/16/2024 at 9:56 PM, Dacotua said:

My opinion : Its all about the quality of the fish supplier to your local fish store.

I have a Cardinal tank and a Neon Tank. Sometimes when I buy 10 of these fish, I'll put them in the tank and over the next 2-3 days I will lose 1-2 fish on each day. None of the existing ones die. Sometimes I'll buy some of these fish and lose absolutely none. I've kept fish for many many many years. My gut tells me that the transport of the fish from the farm, to the fish store, the transfer from the shipping to the fish store tank, then the transport from the fish store to your tank puts a lot of stress on the fish. Some poorer quality fish can't stand this stress and simply die. Higher quality fish can handle the stress and can handle the stress.

Best defense against this. Simply ask the fish store, when did you get this batch of fish? If they say less than 3-4 days, you may want to consider waiting a week before buying any from that batch.

Again this is just my theory and experience.

Good advice, other good advice was ordering from Dan's fish.  I would try to find someone local to buy from that has bred the fish as a hobby also.

• Like 1