Environmentally friendly alternatives to polyester filter floss?

anodyne99

I've been using floss to filter out fine particles and every time I change it out I feel a pang of guilt for contributing to micro-plastics in the waste stream. 

Has anyone experimented with alternatives that are less...plastic? If so I'd love to know how it went for you. What worked or didn't?

Have you got any ideas that might work? Please let me know and I'm happy to test 'em out and report back! I'm feeling a bit stumped myself. 

Thanks for considering! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

possibly some type of cotton filler? wool sprang to mind, but i don't think it will maintain any porosity. possibly natural sponge?

and, yes, you could keep using polyfill, and rewashing several times. at least washing slows down it's use

On 3/12/2024 at 12:30 PM, anodyne99 said:

I feel a pang of guilt for contributing to micro-plastics in the waste stream

yeah, i understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure we're to the point we have replacements for things. unfortunately

• Like 1

I really wish there was, but as I far as I know most natural alternatives will eventually break down in the water column over time, which will lead to cloudier water.

The best option is to try to reduce the amount you are using by using renewable media.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 10:45 AM, Tony s said:

possibly some type of cotton filler? wool sprang to mind, but i don't think it will maintain any porosity. possibly natural sponge?

and, yes, you could keep using polyfill, and rewashing several times. at least washing slows down it's use

yeah, i understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure we're to the point we have replacements for things. unfortunately

I will try rewashing it and see if it still works. That's a good idea. Maybe a soak in vinegar to cut any oils will help.

• Like 1

Ive gone to using foam pond filter foam in my hang on backs, you can get it in a course, medium and fine pack online. Doesnt break down like filter floss does or seem to clog as much, just rinse and ring out and back in the filter. its the kind of egg crate shaped stuff. 

• Like 3

I'm still using bio-bags and other replaceable filter cartridges.   The Tetra Bio-Bags can be rinsed and reused for months or longer.  It shouldn't be too hard to adapt them in place of the floss.  Because they cannot be separated from the frame, some filter cartridges can be a little bit of a hassle depending on the manufacturer.  When my cartridges are finally worn out, I will probably switch to the foam blocks and Bio-Bags or that pad.

• Like 1