Whitecloud09’s 10 gallon planted aquarium journal

Update: 

I am or was or still going through a ammonia spike in tank sadly, it was because I lost a fish (like could not find him) idk if he went under the plata and got stuck, I did not notice tho. So I lost him, know an ammonia spike is what I got, @Tony s, I am thinking of pandas, but I thought they were to big but maybe not, at least they are close to me. Close = petsmart. But maybe I will get harqilun rasboras instead. What would you do? Just curious, I am not much of a decider lol.

Posted (edited)

I am still trying to make sure no ammonia present, last time I checked (1 day ago) it was .50 ppm, water change today, I am thinking of maybe going to a smaller chain store instead of petsmart, because usually their fish are kinda sickly and I saw the reviews that panda Corys they got from there are sick sometimes too. Do not get me wrong, all fish can get sick and the reviews don’t always matter but well I will see! 5 panda corys I am planning right now…..

Edited by Whitecloud09

On 3/30/2024 at 8:15 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Yes I was planning on that, thank you @macdaddy36, ok, that is good because that smaller store is far away with petsmart maybe 30 mins away, I am planning on a week at the least. Thanks again 

You could also order them online. Aqua Huna has a 6 pack for pretty cheap in stock now, I'm probably going to order them over the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, it has been ages I feel like since I even checked my notifications on this forum, so I will give a mini update, tank is fine, I checked ammonia yesterday and it was .50 ppm, so I did a 30% water change and am about to recheck it today, @macdaddy36, when do you think I could maybe add the pandas now? Soon or be patient (which is not my strength lol).

Edited by Whitecloud09
Added in info
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:57 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Ok, it has been ages I feel like since I even checked my notifications on this forum, so I will give a mini update, tank is fine, I checked ammonia yesterday and it was .50 ppm, so I did a 30% water change and am about to recheck it today, @macdaddy36, when do you think I could maybe add the pandas now? Soon or be patient (which is not my strength lol).

I’d still wait until you don’t see ammonia. But, that’s just me. Also… when you do finally decide it’s time for your Pandas… Aqua Huna IS a good place. I bought all 12 of my Peppered Cory from them and all arrived alive and healthy!

• Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 7:57 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Why would you do a water change while cycling you tank? Unless it is a fish in cycle. 

If your doing a fishless cycle: don’t do any water changes, just put a source of ammonia in, and wait until there is not detectable ammonia or nitrite and you see nitrate. If you have live plants which feed from the water column then you can look if you see any growth.

If doing fish-in cycle: water change all ammonia out. add fish when you want and then monitor daily and do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero. Live plants makes this easier. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 9:30 AM, macdaddy36 said:

Why would you do a water change while cycling you tank? Unless it is a fish in cycle. 

If your doing a fishless cycle: don’t do any water changes, just put a source of ammonia in, and wait until there is not detectable ammonia or nitrite and you see nitrate. If you have live plants which feed from the water column then you can look if you see any growth.

If doing fish-in cycle: water change all ammonia out. add fish when you want and then monitor daily and do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero. Live plants makes this easier. 

I am not doing a cycle, I already did it a long time ago, the fishless one, 2 months or more ago, @macdaddy36, that’s why I did one, the fish are in the tank, sorry if maybe confused you.

On 4/6/2024 at 6:51 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I am not doing a cycle, I already did it a long time ago, the fishless one, 2 months or more ago, @macdaddy36, that’s why I did one, the fish are in the tank, sorry if maybe confused you.

Oh, I'm sorry. Still odd that you would have any detectable ammonia in a cycled tank. I would wait a week after you have no remaining ammonia or nitrite to get the corys.   A week may be hard but in the grand scheme of things it's not and better safe than sorry.

If your still seeing ammonia I would kind of have doubts that your tank is cycled. If your fish died 2 weeks ago and your still having ammonia present that is concerning. Are you sure you're not missing anymore fish? Having ammonia present while fish are in the tank is basically the same as a fish in cycle, you need to do test daily and do water changes whenever you see ammonia.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Oh, I'm sorry. Still odd that you would have any detectable ammonia in a cycled tank. I would wait a week after you have no remaining ammonia or nitrite to get the corys.   A week may be hard but in the grand scheme of things it's not and better safe than sorry.

If your still seeing ammonia I would kind of have doubts that your tank is cycled. If your fish died 2 weeks ago and your still having ammonia present that is concerning. Are you sure you're not missing anymore fish? Having ammonia present while fish are in the tank is basically the same as a fish in cycle, you need to do test daily and do water changes whenever you see ammonia.

Ok thanks and nope. I had 6 but now I have 5. It’s wierd….. I ordered an ammonia test from Amazon today. Mine is super old I think and it has different colors around the edges and the color is slightly off @macdaddy36

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

I guess that is not the case, because I ordered the API ammonia test and checked, and it was .50 ppm, I could not do a water change today sadly @macdaddy36 becuase I was not even home pretty much the whole day. I will do one tomorrow but will be super busy as well tomorrow but I will do my best…..

Posted (edited)

Got a Q for you @Mmiller2001, what is this algae on my plants? Why and how do I stop it? My light is on with a timer from 10 AM to 6:30 ish PM. Since the time change I have not changed the schedule for the lights. Thanks and any questions I will try to answer.

B3BF1755-9482-4EA3-943C-6A5FBCED3546.jpeg

2E45FA59-1315-4388-8538-B72116DB7F36.jpeg

C8F70605-7434-4F8B-AB87-FB5B639737AF.jpeg

E0B537ED-0931-4BFE-AB36-E022867F423D.jpeg

981DF506-4A0A-4123-9AE1-EC3D1BBC66A4.jpeg

8AF9AEDC-CE4A-43F4-82B9-575E6EE3B9FF.jpeg

E021CC70-FC83-493F-B1CA-33B69EB5A9B8.jpeg

0FAFC8BE-A4F7-4160-B748-95222A676B74.jpeg

Edited by Whitecloud09

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2024 at 7:34 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

Mini update: momeywort is not doing great, fish are good and healthy tho! The ammonia sits at right under .25 ppm. Could I add the corys soon @Tony s, @macdaddy36? Thanks and also I do a weekly water change often as well.

I think you should be doing more than a weekly water change if there is still ammonia. In a established tank the ammonia should be at a level which is undetectable with the API test kit or strips. Adding the cories will increase the bioload and if you are still having ammonia issues then that will only make the problem worse.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I would wait a week after you have no remaining ammonia or nitrite to get the corys.

Still this ^

What are your nitrates looking like?

How much are you feeding?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:17 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I think you should be doing more than a weekly water change if there is still ammonia. In a established tank the ammonia should be at a level which is undetectable with the API test kit or strips. Adding the cories will increase the bioload and if you are still having ammonia issues then that will only make the problem worse.

Still this ^

What are your nitrates looking like?

How much are you feeding?

Thanks and my nitrates are between 15-20 ppm. I did 2 changes last week btw and I feed them every 2 days and feed them floating foods so it will not sink to bottom. 

Will wait on the cories for a long time and make sure no ammonia for like 5 days or something, thanks @macdaddy36 for being really nice and helpful to me.