Light on from Sunrise to Sunset too much?

Moz

Too much light will cause excess algae. Best is to pick an 8 hour block (or less) when you’re around to interact with your tank. When that is depends entirely your schedule. Your plants will like consistency in hours. Your fish won’t care about the light at all. It’s mostly there so you can enjoy your fish.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:36 PM, Tony s said:

Too much light will cause excess algae. Best is to pick an 8 hour block (or less) when you’re around to interact with your tank. When that is depends entirely your schedule. Your plants will like consistency in hours. Your fish won’t care about the light at all. It’s mostly there so you can enjoy your fish.

Ok, thank you. I have a timer so that will help.

On 3/7/2024 at 10:41 PM, lefty o said:

most plants will do well with 6-8 hrs of light a day.

Excellent thanks!

On 3/7/2024 at 11:19 PM, Moz said:

Ok, thank you. I have a timer so that will help

That would help immensely. But it doesn’t have to even be in daylight hours. Several of my tank run 6 hours, starting at 5pm , that’s what time someone is around. I usually see them after work until 12pm. Then the light goes off. Set their schedule to yours.

• Like 1

Get a kasa timer, set it for like 6 hours you are usually around. Then if you feel like watching them at other times, set the timer for use with Alexa or other assistant and you can easily turn it on and off.

From there you can adjust time up or down based on algae and plant growth

• Like 2

@Tony s and the others here are giving great advice. Follow it. The only point I'd make onto what's already been shared is to tinker. Slowly. Meaning that plants and lighting take some trial and error to get dialed in. If you see algae come on fast, lower the light intensity. Or duration. Or both. Adjust nutrients. Or don't. Your set-up will take time. With each change give it a couple weeks. Then adjust some more, wait a couple weeks, adjust again. A tinkerers mindset with some patience is a tricky combo but that's what you need to make plants and a tank really go. That and good advice from the folks like @Tony s

• Like 4

On 3/8/2024 at 8:52 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

@Moz, hello kinda late to this topic, but I personally keep my light on from 9 am to 5:30 pm and very little algae, so yeah everyone that gave advice, just like @Chad said, take it lol

Appreciate it 👍🏼

• Like 2