Where to get apistos

I’m interested in getting an Apistogramma for my 30 gallon but I don’t know of a reliable source for them, I’ve found a few websites that seem a tad off, plus I’ve heard they have issues with inbreeding, any suggestions for places to go would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

As @Tony s stated our guidelines only support Dans Fish and Aqua Huna shops. Aquabid is a good place to look make sure to look at seller reviews.

Apistogramma are best to find from hobbyists. You can use the club locator link to find the closest clubs to you and reach out.  eBay is another hobbyist bred source.  Again check ratings.

Do research. Many Apisto are not pair forming and do better in trios. 

• Like 1

I don't really understand why its a rule that we can only discuss 2 online fish dealers. We are allowed to discuss filters, lights, food, tanks, and anything else related to fish keeping whether ACO carries the products or not but for some reason we can only discuss 2 online fish retailers? ACO doesn't even offer online fish orders themselves. It would seem like they would have a much higher vested interest in keeping competitors of products they sell off the forum rather than monitoring the discussion of things they don't sell. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Its a very minor complaint considering the overall good this forum offers to its community. I just find it very odd.

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 1

Dan's fish is where I got mine. They usually have a good selection but not right now. They are a bit pricey, but you get a large healthy specimens and good customer service. You can see what I am talking about if you watch the Dan's fish YouTube channel.

Aquahuna seems to have a good selection of apistos for a much lower price but I have never bought them so I am not sure.

Best option is a hobbyist bred apisto.

On 3/7/2024 at 12:36 PM, NOLANANO said:

I don't really understand why its a rule that we can only discuss 2 online fish dealers. We are allowed to discuss filters, lights, food, tanks, and anything else related to fish keeping whether ACO carries the products or not but for some reason we can only discuss 2 online fish retailers? ACO doesn't even offer online fish orders themselves. It would seem like they would have a much higher vested interest in keeping competitors of products they sell off the forum rather than monitoring the discussion of things they don't sell. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Its a very minor complaint considering the overall good this forum offers to its community. I just find it very odd.

Discussing them is not so much the issue posting links is.  The discussions often lead to trash talking a vendor or promoting a vendor of which both are prohibited.  It’s a grey area that rule keeps nice and clear. 

Please keep on track with the posters original question without sidetracking their thread to discuss other issues. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2024 at 12:33 AM, Shunkin said:

I’m interested in getting an Apistogramma for my 30 gallon but I don’t know of a reliable source for them, I’ve found a few websites that seem a tad off, plus I’ve heard they have issues with inbreeding, any suggestions for places to go would be greatly appreciated!

I private messaged you an answer to your question.

• Like 1