NEW CHILI RASBORA QUARANTINE

YAMA

I just got 10 chili rasboras and was wondering about treating with the quarantine med trio.  I was told they were too sensitive and it would be to hard on their tiny little bodies.  My quarantine tank is 5 gallons and they are currently going thru a slow drip acclimation. Could someone please give me your opinion on whether or not I should add the quarantine meds or not? 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:58 PM, YAMA said:

I just got 10 chili rasboras and was wondering about treating with the quarantine med trio.  I was told they were too sensitive and it would be to hard on their tiny little bodies.  My quarantine tank is 5 gallons and they are currently going thru a slow drip acclimation. Could someone please give me your opinion on whether or not I should add the quarantine meds or not? 

I Wouldn't treat what I would do is quarantine for a minimum of 4 weeks monitor only treat if you notice any symptoms with the appropriate medication 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 5:58 PM, YAMA said:

wondering about treating with the quarantine med trio

for the quarantine method of using med trio, you're using only a partial dosage, not the full dose. so really shouldn't be harmful at all. but I'm not a proponent of using meds at a less than prescription dosage. so, I'd just quarantine them normally and keep an eye out for problems. treat only if needed, full strength. 

I run a USDA licensed medicated feed mill. Using meds under strength is a big no no. it can lead to antibiotic resistance in most pathogens. including pathogenic parasites

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 6:17 PM, Tony s said:

for the quarantine method of using med trio, you're using only a partial dosage, not the full dose.

I use a full dose of Maracyn, Ich-X, and Paraclranse when I QT. Granted, I do one packet of each and one initial dose of Ich-X and let it marinate for a week. Maybe that’s what you mean by not doing the full dose in that you don’t water change daily and redose meds. 

If I'm understanding what i've heard about the med quarantine. it was for less than full strength treatments. that's my issue. it should be done according to label, or better yet, when symptoms appear.

from the coop website-

Do not dose according to the box instructions. Instead, add 1 packet of Maracyn, 1 packet of ParaCleanse, and 1 U.S. teaspoon of Ich-X for every 10 gallons of aquarium water. (Ich-X does not stain aquarium decorations in our experience, but be careful not to spill it because it can stain your skin or clothing.)

On 3/6/2024 at 7:03 PM, Tony s said:

Do not dose according to the box instructions.

Right, that’s what I meant by not water changing and redosing like the box says to do. Instead, one initial dose, and then let it marinate. We’re on the same page 🙂 

I view it no differently than vaccinating my dog, or myself for that matter. Every time I’ve decided I wouldn’t quarantine with meds I’ve ended up regretting it. Doesn’t mean it’s the only way, I’ve just never personally experienced any cons from doing it. 

• Like 1

Sorry I can't go by views or personal opinion for that matter. When the USDA inspector come to look at my records, they must be exact and precise. and following the labels exactly. A label being the law to USDA. so, it's mostly ingrained in me now, follow the label. That's to prevent future antibiotic resistance in human populations. Meat packers are doing continuous test on any antibiotic residue in the food supply. mostly in the parts per million or parts per billion range. Although nobody in my industry uses these antibiotics anymore, the same principles apply.

Yeah, I know, bit of overkill here. It's just aquariums and some fish. But did you know you can tell the health status of a city by measuring the amount of antibiotics in their water supply?

Okay, time for me to climb down from my soapbox now. sorry I do get carried away sometimes🤣

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:26 PM, Tony s said:

It's just aquariums and some fish.

Precisely. We’re all good! Diverse thoughts, opinions, and experiences are necessary and invited on my end. 

All I know is that I’ve never personally seen cons from doing the med trio, and I have had bad experiences when I didn’t do it. That, and I did the med trio on my Chili’s and they were just fine to circle back to OP’s question before we hijacked their thread 😂

• Like 1

I doubt there is any data that would show the effect of using more or less of this fish medication.  It is an unknown both in its effect on chili rasboras and whether it might lead to antibiotic resistance.  Of course, since those fish are probably not going anywhere and not breeding, the resistance may not be an issue.

Edited by Galabar

Erythromycin and kanamycin are old livestock medications. As are things like virginiamycin and the tetracyclines. The effects are known and quantified. The first 3 are no longer in use for meat production. Virginiamycin is off the market to protect against antibiotic resistance. It’s too close to other useful human medicines. The tetracyclines are still in use because they’re some most effective antibiotics we have for livestock. Even then, their effectiveness is diminishing due to resistance. It really is a huge deal. 

but as I said, we don’t use the first 2 at all anymore. They are just not effective anymore. Meaning everything we have is resistant to them. But, fish diseases haven’t developed it yet. 

which is good for our swimming animals 😁

• Like 1