Filter for Phoenix Rasboras and Pygmy Cory Doras

Hi everyone, 

Have been successful in keeping 6 Phoenix Rasboras and one Tiger Nerite snail in 5-gallon tank. I have both tiny and medium size Anubias plants. I have them in a mini bow aquarium that has a slow flow filter that I added a sponge filter to the tank to clean water better. I also use a pre-filter sponge on intake of filter that came with aquarium.

Now I want to buy a 10-gallon tank and choose a filter that will not blow my fish away.  I've been searching for a good filter but reviews say many of them have a strong flow or you cannot adjust the flow. I'm getting frustrated in the search. Would two sponge filters be better for my needs, or do you have some suggestions? I'm still learning. I also want to get a few Pygmy Cory Doras and 4 more Rasboras to add later to the tank.  Appreciate your help.

Edited by Fishingaround
more important information to add.

On 3/3/2024 at 7:01 PM, Fishingaround said:

Wow, that is impressive, your Rasboras look very healthy. Does feeding them fresh and frozen brine shrimp cause any problems to the filters? Sometimes I accidentally over-feed my rasboras. 

I feed frozen cyclops, live bbs and live microworms but i try to feed only a smidge and maybe bit more often. I added faunus ater to eat the debris in the substrate to help with the overfeed 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 7:26 PM, Fishingaround said:

Is there a group in the forum that raise Rasboras and exchange information? I would like to try the micro worms but will have to learn more about them. But that is the adventure of the hobby.

Not sure to be honest, I can help you with info on the microworms, but not the culture, you need to ask someone to send you some. I prefere walter worms to micro worms, I have not had banana worms to test. Their nutritional value is identical, they last the same time in the water column, their size is the same, so not that much of a difference. 

BTW I got my culture via post as they can travel in an almost dried squished state and they regenerate very well. Depending on where are you at, I might send it, but if it is US, you will have more luck finding someone local than paying for the shipping from me 🙂

• Love 1

Hi beastie, I'm going to study more about banana worms. I remember doing some reading about them when I was learning about what to feed Phoenix Rasboras.  Hope I don't get squeamish about them. 🤔.  Any information you can add will be appreciated. I've decided not to get Pygmy Cory Doras because I have slightly hard water and I don't want to alter the water condition because it might set off other problems with the water. And Tiger snail is very happy with the way the water is now. I'm considering Cherry shrimp, but they are sensitive creatures. 

Unlike grindal, which look and behave like worms, the micro/banana worms are like tiny squiggly lines on the side of a container and when fed, look like a mist so no ick factor there

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, I looked into the AquaClear 20 filter and am very pleased with how it works and the reviews. But what size pre-filter sponge would work best for this filter? I looked at some but only saw compatible ones for the 50-gallon AquaClear filter. Or what is the measurement size of the pre-filter sponge for the 20-gallon AquaClear filter? Sorry to drop so many questions your way but I really need some help. 🥺

On 3/5/2024 at 8:46 PM, Fishingaround said:

Hi Jeff, I looked into the AquaClear 20 filter and am very pleased with how it works and the reviews. But what size pre-filter sponge would work best for this filter? I looked at some but only saw compatible ones for the 50-gallon AquaClear filter. Or what is the measurement size of the pre-filter sponge for the 20-gallon AquaClear filter? Sorry to drop so many questions your way but I really need some help. 🥺

The Co-Op mini. 

FYI - they have a sizing chart for their pre-filter sponges on their site, for many filters. Just click on filtration, and you'll find it under 'more'

IMG_3716.png

• Thanks 1

Are you ready for another question? ☺️Well Jeff, when I started the hobby, I started out with a mini bow aquarium that came with everything. So now that I want to set up the new 10-gallon tank I have new questions. Since I decided on the Aqua Clear filter for the aquarium what type of tank and lid would you suggest? I don't know what requirements or measurements I would need for the lid or the best type of tank at this time. I have a lid on the mini bow 5-gallon, but the water still seems to evaporate. Perhaps that has to do with the light that is in the lid. I used electric tape to cover some of the other lights in it because it was too strong for my fish and plants. I'm probably too much information. Hang in there with me.

Which brings up another question, best lighting for primarily Anubias plants and Rasbora fish? If you don't have time to answer, I will understand, no pressure. Just kindly direct me to a place where I can get the necessary information. Thank you for all your help.

Lots of options. Sponge filter would work. A hang on back with a prefilter sponge on the intake could work - Aquaclear makes a nice one, I have this one on some 10 g cube tanks and they work well with easy flow for the fish you’re talking about  IMG_2997.png.6a960611893b723bb04334eab85d038b.png

An undergravel filter would work well. If you’re just going to use low level stocking you could heavily plant it and go no filter or Walstad. I think the questions more about how you want to run and maintain the tank. How quickly do you want to set it up and have it running? The beauty of being an aquarist is that you can take multiple approaches and get different but equally interesting results. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 3:50 PM, Fishingaround said:

Are you ready for another question? ☺️Well Jeff, when I started the hobby, I started out with a mini bow aquarium that came with everything. So now that I want to set up the new 10-gallon tank I have new questions. Since I decided on the Aqua Clear filter for the aquarium what type of tank and lid would you suggest? I don't know what requirements or measurements I would need for the lid or the best type of tank at this time. I have a lid on the mini bow 5-gallon, but the water still seems to evaporate. Perhaps that has to do with the light that is in the lid. I used electric tape to cover some of the other lights in it because it was too strong for my fish and plants. I'm probably too much information. Hang in there with me.

Which brings up another question, best lighting for primarily Anubias plants and Rasbora fish? If you don't have time to answer, I will understand, no pressure. Just kindly direct me to a place where I can get the necessary information. Thank you for all your help.

Here's a lid that would fit 

IMG_3719.png

Here's the light I would recommend - the 20" It has a 3 year warranty. Best light on the market, imo. 

IMG_3720.png

You'll have to cut the plastic on the lid. I usually use wire cutters. You'll struggle with regular scissors. 

make sure you cut only enough for your heater cord and filter intake tube only. That way, it doesn't allow fish to jump, snakes it hard for snails hard to climb out of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1