Do Japanese Ricefish sell well at stores/are they worth it to breed?

Kylee

Pretty much what the title says. I'm thinking about breeding some orange ricefish that I already have laying eggs in a 10g tank. I've got 3 males, 3 females, already have a few fry. Does anyone have experience selling these or breeding them?

Depends on the market in your area, I started breeding them around 4 yrs ago when I first heard about them. They are not popular in my area and I had a hard time moving them so I recently got rid of what was left of my group. Talk to some of your LFS and see what they think.

Ricefish in general are not popular with lfs in my area.  However all three clubs I belong to go crazy bidding on them at auction.  

Reah out to local clubs.  Maybe even become a member.  

on the Aquarium coop store page at the bottom you can find clubs local to your area BE96531D-0DB0-423A-8A78-3B247A635707.jpeg.79faf6b0ba95c737b1c1c42fcaab2c58.jpegE4930D8E-B29E-46E7-8AE4-742EEA5BF5F7.jpeg.4052bf1324c58602bbe76a8e67d1da0b.jpeg

• Like 1

They're not as popular as they should be. As a hobbyist (ie fish aren't my income), I think they're awesome, and I hope they increase in popularity. I have a couple rice fish species, and want to be able to sell them, if/when that happens. One thought I've had is to get a couple batches of a hundred or so at large juvie small adult size, and sell them to my regular fish store buyers at a fairly low unit rate, and purposely give the managers a ton of info about their care, so they're better able to promote them. Having them ready for pond season might help, but I have missed that for this year. I could recommend a price point, but it would ultimately be up to each store, and what I get will be a function of their price to the consumer (and how fast they expect them to sell). My hope is that they ultimately do become popular, but remain at a slightly higher price point, which would make them a good seller for me. Right now they sell between $8-$15 each depending on variety and seller, but they seem to mostly be only at "boutique" stores and not the bigger options that I prefer to work with (not talking about big boxes like petsmart, won't sell to them). And most of the stores that do carry them don't have them in inventory more often than not. 

Personally, I avoid selling via clubs and kijiji and facebook, and instead use the small network of fish store owners I've built. You might get more per fish via clubs/kijiji/fb, but you'll fight and haggle for every penny, and sell fewer fish to each buyer. Selling to stores gets a lower unit price (though not always), but you can sell larger volume, and you have more control over timing. Also less negotiation/haggling (though I recognize that some folks are totally into that aspect). So i'm answering the original question through the lens of how popular they are at stores, not via the private market. 

I have seen a couple different varieties in the few LFS I frequent, but I can not tell you whether they sell well. I do know that I have been to three fish club auctions this year so far, and there have been several bags of them that attracted quite a bit of bidders. The auction I went to this past weekend, there was a few bags with 6 fish in each that sold for $50+ per bag. I think a lot of the not selling good in the LFS is that most people going in may not realize what they are, and how a lot of the rice fish look a lot better when viewed from above. Maybe if the LFS owners and managers would have a display or something showing how good they look from above, they may be able to sell them better. 

On 2/28/2024 at 11:14 PM, Kylee said:

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm not really into the negotiating and bargaining part of selling fish, just hoping to be able to sell them to my lfs.

Go visit and discuss if they even buy local bred fish some shops do and others don't.  You will likely only get store credit.  Worth it that's up to you.  Personally I will try breeding the Barb's when I get my tank stable purely for the education of figuring it out.  Worth it too me yes financially viable probably not.

Yeah, I do understand your point. I'm not doing it just for the profit, I just thought it would be good way to fund my aquariums while having fun at the same time.