Needing feedback on a substrate idea

I have a 75 gallon I’m setting up. I have 2 17.7 bags of fluval stratum and plan to mesh bag that and put it through out the tank. Then cap it with a dark sand or substrate. Aiming for 3-4 inches.

I have a lot of bottom dwellers like corries and loaches so need something soft for them. Right now I only use HTH pool filter sand and love everything about it other than the light color and not keeping the water neutral for shrimp. Any advice on a dark alternative to hth and something to help with neutral water for shrimp?

IMG_3219.jpeg

Edited by lmhicks101
  • Love 3

On 2/27/2024 at 8:46 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not sure what you mean by substrate keeping it neutral. If you are just looking for inert sand alternatives Carib sea super naturals jungle river sand works fantastic my Corydora abs shrimp and is darker. 

I ended up going with Fluval stratum in mesh bags and a bunch of seachem black sand. I know the black diamond blasting sands is way cheaper but I don’t wanna deal with washing that stuff out and running magnets through it for 3 hours.

I meant an alternative to stratum and how it can help with maintaining a near neutral pH. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 5:11 PM, lmhicks101 said:

I have a lot of bottom dwellers like corries and loaches so need something soft for them. Right now I only use HTH pool filter sand and love everything about it other than the light color and not keeping the water neutral for shrimp. Any advice on a dark alternative to hth and something to help with neutral water for shrimp?

caribsea has a new midnight river black substrate.

They also have others like jungle river that might give you some of the variation in color you are looking for.

This is mine in my tanks, it's a very good size sand.  Visually fine, just not powder, but a fine sand.

image.jpeg.110f8aac4be55e2ee2ab5f098f58b6f8.jpeg

This is the new stuff.

image.jpeg.362894f8b1eae3fdf7b10c18a87df74c.jpeg

• Thanks 1