Sickly abused Betta

ktk4beees

My Friend inherited a betta yesterday and it came to her in its 2 gallon plastic bowl with plastic plants and high nitrates. I had her put in in with her guppies last night when she called in a 10 gallon with live plants. Is there anything else practical I can have her do to keep this fish alive? We have no "fish Store" close so if it is not carried at a dollar store the solution will not work for her.

I am giving her my 5 gallon that is not with fish right  now. It is a well cycled tank with RO water, mulm and plants (probably a shrimp or two I did not find). She will use it until she can find a better tank for it. 

• Sad 2

Yes it is remineralized. The Betta is at the bottom of the 2 gallon it was in and not moving a lot so I am assuming having not seen it that it is indeed sick. It was overfed and kids were tapping on the glass all the time at the original owner. My friend has had fish in the past and the Guppy tank came from me to her son. So she is somewhat fish aware but called me last night in a panic. So I told her some emergency things but long term I just need some more advice from the community.

Well without a lot of options for meds, or more information other than a seemingly lethargic fish I would say best option is to try and locate some aquarium salt as it's usually the easiest thing to get a hold of (Study this: .https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish?_pos=2&_sid=a4f341fe3&_ss=r ). Clean, clean water and an established tank (adding established tank items in new tanks when not an option) are great. Keep the lights off and stress low. Lots of oxygen, add an airstone if possible. 

• Like 2