Welcome from SC

On 2/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Returning to the hobby with a vengeance.   I am building up for a 4ft tank.  It's taking some doing to gather the bits for a tank this big.  Made my first order Saturday. 

John 

Welcome and wow! A 4 footer! That’s awesome!

Welcome back!

looks great. but have concerns. if it's a 75g your corners may not be strong enough. screws won't necessarily hold onto that much shear pressure. (pressure against the side of the screw). especially close to the end of the 2x4. 

quick fix- sister up a few more 2x4's on the outside corners. so that the 2x4's hold the weight and not the screws. but really does look nice.

Edited by Tony s

+1 for the concerns about your stand. There are plenty of videos explaining this, but mainly you want the weight to be carried by wood not screws.

You'll need to add wood beams in between the top and bottom frame, that will support the weight instead (ie get mashed in between the frames). As it is now, All the weight is on the screws attaching the top frame to the vertical beams.

The good thing is, that you still need the vertical beams you already have in place in order for your whole sand not so skew.  Simply add some more beams next to them, but in between the top and bottom. Then you are much safer

On 2/24/2024 at 10:35 AM, Tony s said:

Welcome back!

looks great. but have concerns. if it's a 75g your corners may not be strong enough. screws won't necessarily hold onto that much shear pressure. (pressure against the side of the screw). especially close to the end of the 2x4. 

quick fix- sister up a few more 2x4's on the outside corners. so that the 2x4's hold the weight and not the screws. but really does look nice.

Done I fixed the columns 

• Like 2