Is there a way to get a plant light on this tank?

I was wondering if I could get a light (like a decent one) for my plants???? Here is a pic, is there a lid I could get that would fit because the fish I have can jump….thanks if there is any answer to this, just curious 🙂the pic is from when the lights were off for the day btw

E41243D6-84A0-40F3-B2F4-2097DDD13ABE.jpeg

Edited by Bigdog99

My tank started with the black top as well. You will need to replace it with a glass top for a plant light.

It is important to check the brand of tank you have, and the brand of top you are getting, Aqueon lids don't work too well on non aqueon tanks, and non aqueon lids don't fit too well on aqueon tanks. For tetra tanks i've found H2pro lids seem to fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, you may not need to. I don't think you have anything that requires higher light. you have anubias and wendelove fern for sure. and what else? These will grow just fine on kit lights as they are low light plants. they may look like they're doing poorly. but just need time to acclimate to your tank. Most of my tanks run off just kit lights, and most of my plants do just fine. now, I also have a 75g with higher light plants that has a glass top and fluval grow lights. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 6:55 PM, Tony s said:

Honestly, you may not need to. I don't think you have anything that requires higher light. you have anubias and wendelove fern for sure. and what else? These will grow just fine on kit lights as they are low light plants. they may look like they're doing poorly. but just need time to acclimate to your tank. Most of my tanks run off just kit lights, and most of my plants do just fine. now, I also have a 75g with higher light plants that has a glass top and fluval grow lights. 

I actually do not have my Windelov, planted it wrong 😑. But I have anubias, micro sword, and Pearl weed. Thanks for the info btw

I was just very curious, might not, idk😄.

your pearl weed would actually like more light. but lights can be really expensive. tops aren't too bad but still more$

I saw your fern. it wasn't too bad for a first try. I think you could have saved it by shaving close to the glue point.

you may want to try the pearl in a lower light setting. Coop light runs 80$ plus a new top

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 7:02 PM, Tony s said:

your pearl weed would actually like more light. but lights can be really expensive. tops aren't too bad but still more$

I saw your fern. it wasn't too bad for a first try. I think you could have saved it by shaving close to the glue point.

you may want to try the pearl in a lower light setting. Coop light runs 80$ plus a new top

In that case, Idk. Yeah my tank light is pretty bright. My fern had WAY to much glue so to get to the glue point I would have to take a ton of the roots off. I will think about it and look into it, thanks a lot @Tony s! Always the best!

I don't see why you couldn't lower the water line and take a drill to the hood to loop a sling for a light. If the lid is tall enough you may be able to go from the side and push the light brackets through and lightly glue them.

Edited by Lonkley
  • Love 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:01 PM, Lonkley said:

take a drill to the hood to loop a sling for a light

Yeah, I tried that with my 39 gallon dark glow fish tank. It was a blue light for them. But I glued it to the roof. Unfortunately, it wasn’t totally water proof and condensation got into the switch. New rule of thumb, all lights in a tank must be water proof. No fish injuries. Next time I’m going to use a dremel and cut a whole in the lid for the next light. Maybe. I’m a bit skittish about ruining the lid😀

On 2/19/2024 at 11:34 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Agreed that a glass top and the light of your choice would be the way to go. 

Lighting can be crazy expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. On most of my tanks they have Aquaneat lights and they do great for me. 

Yes I see that Amazon has some decent ones!

On 2/19/2024 at 11:40 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I tried that with my 39 gallon dark glow fish tank. It was a blue light for them. But I glued it to the roof. Unfortunately, it wasn’t totally water proof and condensation got into the switch. New rule of thumb, all lights in a tank must be water proof. No fish injuries. Next time I’m going to use a dremel and cut a whole in the lid for the next light. Maybe. I’m a bit skittish about ruining the lid😀

Ya sounds kinda hard but idk

On 2/19/2024 at 11:01 PM, Lonkley said:

I don't see why you couldn't lower the water line and take a drill to the hood to loop a sling for a light. If the lid is tall enough you may be able to go from the side and push the light brackets through and lightly glue them.

Thanks!