How thick should the gravel be in a tank?

Herefishie

I'm in the process of replacing my Aquarium with a larger one. While preparing to make the change, it occurred to me that I think I have way too much gravel in my tank. It's probably 2 to 3 inches. I'm planning to not use nearly as much in the new tank. Just enough to cover the roots for the plants. Is this a mistake? Even though I gravel vac regularly, it was shocking how much junk was down in that substrate. The tank is only six months old. 

• Like 2

As much as you want. From no substrate, to very thick. Pros and cons to everything. 

At this point, I want enough that I can plant into. Too little substrate and your plants just float right out of it. Too much and it’s just money spent on gravel that could be spent on other things in my opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2024 at 2:46 PM, Herefishie said:

I'm in the process of replacing my Aquarium with a larger one. While preparing to make the change, it occurred to me that I think I have way too much gravel in my tank. It's probably 2 to 3 inches. I'm planning to not use nearly as much in the new tank. Just enough to cover the roots for the plants. Is this a mistake? Even though I gravel vac regularly, it was shocking how much junk was down in that substrate. The tank is only six months old. 

I’d say, from 1 to how ever thick u want it to be @Herefishie, the plants just need to be able to have all the roots under the gravel and stable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1