How to remove black crust from dragon stone?

I have a piece of dragon that doesn't want to come clean. Almost the entire rock is covered in a black scale. The other pieces of dragon stone I've had were able to be cleaned with a plastic scrub brush but I can barely make a dent in this piece. Its been soaking for about a week and I've tried scrubbing it twice but its essentially the same. I'm wondering if I should get a metal scrub brush but idk if it will leave metal residue on the rock. I'm also thinking about one of those plastic scrubber wheels for a drill. 

If anyone has advice I'd love to hear it. Thank you. 

20240213_1149581.jpg.fe8e660350cfc20c4d76d0e547cea7e3.jpg20240213_1149511.jpg.950421b23af7eeb0aa68d4322eac3464.jpg

On 2/13/2024 at 12:07 PM, Tony s said:

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think so. the other alternative is organic acid. which makes me paranoid. 

Dragon stone is pretty soft so yeah it probably wouldn't scrape the metal down. 

Yeah you would dealing with quite a bit acid if you wanted to soak it. Or you would have to be scrubbing it with small amounts of acid which seems like a bad idea. Ill get a metal brush and see how it goes on a small section of the rock.

• Like 1

Depending on the store, you may be able to find some brushes as small as toothbrushes. we have some in the shop, can't use them, contaminated with oil. forgot where we got them though, probably Grainger.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 9:00 AM, Supermassive said:

I have a piece of dragon that doesn't want to come clean. Almost the entire rock is covered in a black scale. The other pieces of dragon stone I've had were able to be cleaned with a plastic scrub brush but I can barely make a dent in this piece. Its been soaking for about a week and I've tried scrubbing it twice but its essentially the same. I'm wondering if I should get a metal scrub brush but idk if it will leave metal residue on the rock. I'm also thinking about one of those plastic scrubber wheels for a drill. 

I believe that's just part of the stone itself.  @TeeJay has one with a similar color as well.  I think I have 1-2 with that darker shade.  It also might be a different type of stone.  It looks like a layer of material when the stone was cracked down to size and that's the layer that split.  Similar to how Seiryu has the marbling of calcium, this one likely has something similar going on.  It kind of reminds me of maple leaf stone or some sedimentary stone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 4:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I believe that's just part of the stone itself.  @TeeJay has one with a similar color as well.  I think I have 1-2 with that darker shade.  It also might be a different type of stone.  It looks like a layer of material when the stone was cracked down to size and that's the layer that split.  Similar to how Seiryu has the marbling of calcium, this one likely has something similar going on.  It kind of reminds me of maple leaf stone or some sedimentary stone.

Yes I only have 3 or 4 pieces. I have never encountered something like that on the ones I have.. so I'm not quite sure about it

This is the piece @nabokovfan87 was talking about. It dose have some darker areas.but all I did for any of my dragonstone was soak and rinse them to get any dust or loose pieces off them added to the tank. This piece was in a tank for 6 months before I tore it down yesterday and nothing else ever came off of it. So I wouldn't think and of that would hurt the tank. But I'm not a rock scientist either lol

IMG_20240213_162242995.jpg

IMG_20240213_162247483.jpg

IMG_20240213_162255659.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 2/13/2024 at 10:12 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

A little late to the party, but that just looks like the color of the dragonstone to me. 

I have a ton of dragonstone. I love it. Once you get the mud out of all the nooks and crannies, that is.

Is there more than one type/style of dragon stone? The other two pieces I have seem quite different. They look very similar to the one TeeJay showed.

To the best of my knowledge there is only one type. Personally, I like the darker coloration on your piece. 

I have one piece that is much lighter than the rest, and has a green tint to it. It’s not my favorite, so it’s towards the back of a tank with other things in front of it. 

• Like 1